Solutions to the dried cherry/vegetable oil problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

readmypilot

Reaction score
I've got a pound of delicious sour cherries that are unfortunately packed with a tiny amount of sunflower oil. Can I just give them a quick soak and rinse in water with a drop of dish soap?

I'm souring a gallon of my piloncillo dubbel with cherries, oak cubes, and Supplication dregs :)

Thanks!

I wouldn't rinse/wash and I really wouldn't use any soap. You might not have much head retention, but that will be the only problem. I know Russian River used cherries with oil for a while.

You could soak the cherries the sink filled with cold water and half a cup of white vinegar. It will not leave a vinegary taste, I promise. I wash all my fruit this way when I get back from the farm/farmers market. It also helps keep it fresh for longer.

If you use the cherries from the can that are sitting in water will the flavor of the cherries still be very strong or will it be really weak and have to use more of the cherries to get the right amount of flavor?

If you use the cherries from the can that are sitting in water will the flavor of the cherries still be very strong or will it be really weak and have to use more of the cherries to get the right amount of flavor?

I don't know, but if that packaging affected the flavor much, I suppose they wouldn't be sold that way.

I mean extraction flavor by letting them in in something like beer, but I guess you are probably right

passedpawn said:
I don't know, but if that packaging affected the flavor much, I suppose they wouldn't be sold that way.

Hahahaha, really? Canned cherries are sold because its the cheapest, easiest way to preserve them, not because they taste good.

passedpawn said:
As I said, I was guessing. I only eat maraschino cherries :)

Don't most people use canned cherries for cherry pie? Does cherry pie taste good?

Not as good as one with fresh cherries! ;)

Back