Solera container alternatives (other than a barrel)...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
I've been pondering the idea of doing a few Solera-type sour fermentation in my basement....I'm thinking 15 gallons per would be perfect. Maybe 2 or 3 of them. Multiple recipes, not all the same beer.

For the container I don't know where do go with it. I really don't want some gigantic, difficult to clean, leaky, porous oak cask that may impart flavors I don't want. I'd rather have something where I could control sanitation and oxygen more closely and be easier to move, plus no leaks ever. Any thoughts on the vessel to use? Half Barrel stainless keg with a jury rigged airlock? A plastic barrel? I'm avoiding glass, too easy to break even if I could find a 15 gallon carboy. Please help, everything I see on the internets is in oak.

Ha perfect... I obviously missed that. Thank You

You guys think a Spiedel Plastic monster would be too permeable to O2?

Theres a thread on here somewhere using HDPE inductor tanks. Something along the lines of a 20 year solera in progress. Trick is to use a thick hdpe and make sure everything is sealed up tight. (No buckets w lids)

For what it's worth, a "6.5 gal" carboy is actually a clean 7.0 gal up to the neck. So, 2 carboys is 14 gal, or about what sounds like 1 batch for you. Might not be what you're going for, but on the other hand, more slightly smaller vessels means more blending options.

I've been using these for a little over a year now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Brewin...586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c90204782

I've pulled 5 gallons from it for bottling and replaced and so far so good. The beer that came out of it has been in bottles for ~6 months and is coming around very nicely.

I actually have a couple others going just not as long. They are easy to clean and surprisingly the handles are strong enough to lift when it is full.

I've been using these for a little over a year now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Home-Brewin...586?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c90204782

I've pulled 5 gallons from it for bottling and replaced and so far so good. The beer that came out of it has been in bottles for ~6 months and is coming around very nicely.

I actually have a couple others going just not as long. They are easy to clean and surprisingly the handles are strong enough to lift when it is full.

Those look interesting and the price is certainly right. Did you fashon a bung n airlock to the lid somehow?

Plastic permeates O2 over time. If you don't want glass, stick to stainless. One mans 2 cents.

So does Oak, but nobody seems to freak out about wooden barrel Solera.

Plastic letting oxygen through I think is a concern, but the small amount getting through a good HDPE container isn't going to be that dramatically bad. It leaches some oxygen, but it's not like fermenting in an open container.

I have some sour ales that have been fermenting and aging in 2 - 15 gallon HDPE barrels, one for almost a year, and I don'd detect any acetic acid in tastings which is going to be one of the tip offs of oxygen exposure I think.

I think there's potential for good success with solera in a airtight HDPE barrel (you can find them cheap on craigslist being marketed to "preppers") as a fermentor/aging vessel which when properly handled won't introduce excessive amounts of oxygen to the beer.

Example of what I'm using is here on my local craiglist: http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/grd/4965273989.html

So does Oak, but nobody seems to freak out about wooden barrel Solera.

Plastic letting oxygen through I think is a concern, but the small amount getting through a good HDPE container isn't going to be that dramatically bad. It leaches some oxygen, but it's not like fermenting in an open container.

I have some sour ales that have been fermenting and aging in 2 - 15 gallon HDPE barrels, one for almost a year, and I don'd detect any acetic acid in tastings which is going to be one of the tip offs of oxygen exposure I think.

I think there's potential for good success with solera in a airtight HDPE barrel (you can find them cheap on craigslist being marketed to "preppers") as a fermentor/aging vessel which when properly handled won't introduce excessive amounts of oxygen to the beer.

Example of what I'm using is here on my local craiglist: http://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/grd/4965273989.html

Did you rig up some sort of airlock or are you using that large lid to access the beer?

O2 in an oak barrel is definitely a big concern with smaller barrels, so a lot of people will wax their barrel to slow the process.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429302093.274591.jpg
I used a hole saw to drill a hole in the top that would accept a bung. When sampling I use a piece of a racking cane that fits another bung that I attached some hose and a 100mL syringe to. I just swap the bungs, take a sample and put the airlock one back in.
Hole size also accepts an auto siphon to minimize oxygen getting in if possible.

View attachment 271682
I used a hole saw to drill a hole in the top that would accept a bung. When sampling I use a piece of a racking cane that fits another bung that I attached some hose and a 100mL syringe to. I just swap the bungs, take a sample and put the airlock one back in.
Hole size also accepts an auto siphon to minimize oxygen getting in if possible.

Slick, I like it

Did you rig up some sort of airlock or are you using that large lid to access the beer?

O2 in an oak barrel is definitely a big concern with smaller barrels, so a lot of people will wax their barrel to slow the process.

Some of them I've drilled into the side and put a valve on them, basically like a giant bottling bucket so I can draw samples out that way.

Others I do only have access right now through the lid, it's hard to add a valve after you've filled it.

I am using a 1/2 barrel sanke with the stem removed. I am planning on using a waterless bung so that I don't have to worry about keeping sanitizer in there during the year aging process. From what I have read about sours a small amount of o2 is actually okay. A barrel will let in a small amount of o2 which allows the bugs to produce some flavors you may want in small amounts. The keg won't allow any o2 in but the bung will allow some permeability. Plan to fill her up in the next month or two when the weather is warm and nice for brewing.

Talk to me about a waterless silicone bung/airlock that would fit sankes... I just grabbed 3 kegs off Craigslist for mega cheap.

You get more oxygen from too many samples then you do from PET or hpde containers. People have been making great sours in plastic for a while.

I'm going to try all the containers, that's certain. Just need to work out the details now that they are sitting in the garage!

Talk to me about a waterless silicone bung/airlock that would fit sankes... I just grabbed 3 kegs off Craigslist for mega cheap.

I am thinking of getting one of these but have not done it yet as I will be brewing the beer this summer. Here is a good discussion on the waterless bungs, more for wine but still know they fit the sanke.

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?/topic/33647-fermentingventilating-silicone-bung/

Here are the bungs they are talking about.

http://www.alasco.com/bungs.htm

http://www.boswellcompany.com/bungtools/ferm-rite-fermentation-bungs/

http://www.vintable.com/bungs/siliconebungs.html

I've seen several people using Sanke kegs. There was even an article late last year:
Beginning Solera

That's where I got the idea for mine. I'm using a #11 drilled stopper in the neck. I made the stand/cart so I can easily move it around when needed.
WIN_20150119_083425.JPG

How are you guys cleaning the inside of the sanke keg with only the stem removed? Just a thorough soaking with pbw and a strong stream of water to rinse? I would love to start a pipeline of 15 gal batches for a solera style

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

How are you guys cleaning the inside of the sanke keg with only the stem removed? Just a thorough soaking with pbw and a strong stream of water to rinse? I would love to start a pipeline of 15 gal batches for a solera style

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

That's basically what I did. I pulled the spear, emptied it, hosed it out well, filled with hot water and Oxyclean (filled to the brim), soaked it for about a day, rinsed with the garden hose again, then rinsed with hot water (prob around 110F). Before racking beer into it, I also filled it with a couple gallons of water and boiled it for about 30 minutes. I figured if there was any critters in there, the boil would finish them off.

And I thought I was scared of a 5 gallon carboy breaking.

I can't even imagine thinking about lifting a glass container with 15 gallons worth of wort in it.

That's part of using demijohns, you put them on a rack / shelf and don't move them. Just use a small pump to transfer liquid.

And I thought I was scared of a 5 gallon carboy breaking.

I can't even imagine thinking about lifting a glass container with 15 gallons worth of wort in it.

They're best for bulk aging where you can set and forget, obviously not something you want to mess with on a daily basis.

Latest posts

Back