Soldering XLR connectors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstacy1974

Reaction score
Just received my new XLR connectors and soldering kit. Before i cut my RTD cable, what do I need to watch out for? Words of wisdom are much appreciated.

Thanks. These are mini-XLR connectors and the pins are tiny. I'll swing by the local radio shack to see if they have some flux. I may have wrongfully assumed I didn't need any for such a small connection.

Sound like "tinyXLR" connectors. I've used a ton of them. Along with using a low wattage iron and tip and thin flux core solder, avoid over heating the pins as the plastic holding them will start melting with excessive heat duration...

Cheers!

Use a heat sink in the pins. If the wire is new, flux isnt that critical. Tin the wire first. A temp contolled iron works best. The plug and play models get too hot, usually. Plug the xlr into the other gender while soldering to keep the pins from tilting.

Use a heat sink in the pins. If the wire is new, flux isnt that critical. Tin the wire first. A temp contolled iron works best. The plug and play models get too hot, usually. Plug the xlr into the other gender while soldering to keep the pins from tilting.
Thanks! My iron is adjustable. I'll start about mid range on the temp to tin the wire. Adjust as needed from there.

I solder a lot of electrical wiring and connections to PCBs for electric guitars. IMO it's better to

- have an iron that's too hot than too cold. quickly getting the heat on and off with a hot iron is far better than heating with a cool iron and causing the entire part to become overheated

- never use acid flux solder or additional solder paste for electrical connections like the XLRs you'll be working on

- add the solder to the connection once it's heated rather than pooling the solder on the iron and then touching it to the connection

- clean the tip after every connection using a damp sponge pad

- use the right solder for the job. I use a lot of 1/32" 60/40 solder on guitars and pre-amp PCB connections

- use the right tip for the job

It works! Still need to auto tune, but I have a RIMS controller to build also. I'll auto tune everything at the same time.

Thanks. These are mini-XLR connectors and the pins are tiny. I'll swing by the local radio shack to see if they have some flux. I may have wrongfully assumed I didn't need any for such a small connection.
were are you that radio shack is still in business? I thought they all closed their doors?

I second that flux makes it pretty easy I also tin each end first with some solder. (depending on the type of pin)

I do however go against the suggestion above and use plumbers solder paste and find it works fine for whatever ive had to solder.. I know its not supposed to be used be Ive never had an issue with it. (Ive done about 50 xlr connectors with it in 4 panels)

Recently I bought the correct flux and Ive found it works just as well

Last edited:
Back