Soldering instead of Welding?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamatuna

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Im thinking of making a HERMS Rig and was wondering if you can solder things in place instead of welding them and what the advantages would be or if anyone has done this with succsess?

I do not own a welder or know anyone who owns one and the guy near by wants a fortune for the hundreads it would cost.

I was also thinking of setting up a weldless (gaskets n stuff) ontop of it as a fail safe?

Cheers

I could be wrong but i dont think you can solder stainless.

Even with a propane torch SS solders as good if not better with capillary action than soldering copper slip fittings.
Check into the "sticky" section at the top of the forum, this has been beat to death for years soldering SS.
No worries as many sheetmetal workers have told me "no way" with soldering SS. Oh well too late been doing it over 40 years.

Even with a propane torch SS solders as good if not better with capillary action than soldering copper slip fittings.
Check into the "sticky" section at the top of the forum, this has been beat to death for years soldering SS.
No worries as many sheetmetal workers have told me "no way" with soldering SS. Oh well too late been doing it over 40 years.

Beemer, 3 things come to mind every time I see one of your posts: Is there anything you haven't done personally, which island, and your sentence structure could be better. I like reading your posts, thanks, and I'll be retiring now. Over and out.

Back