Soil for planters? For later transplanting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazedandconfused

Reaction score
Im going to plant some rhizomes in planters, until i can take them to their grow spot in a few weeks. So i bought a 6" and a 8" planter and some cheap potting soil. Will this suffice? One of the rhizomes was really tiny like 3" long. So thatl go in the 6 inch.

I have mine in some small pots and ice cream pails, so I don't see why not. Just be careful when you move them from the pot to the ground. I did just this last year and only lost one plant out of six. Also, I mixed potting soil with manure and had great luck.

Hops like a good amount of food. So I try to mix in almost half compost with my potting soil. It helps to add some manure, too. Or use the manure to feed the plants after you plant them.
The tap roots should grow pretty quickly so not sure how long your planters will last. If you see a stall in growth then I would transplant.

Back