Soft water and brewing. Need help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotCline

Reaction score
I just moved my brewing operation from Michigan and its rich delicious hard water to Arizona. I am in Glendale and the tap water tastes horrible. Add to the fact that I have a water softener in the house. Luckily one spigot in the back yard is not softened. So I figure that I will get a filter to get rid of the chlorine for brewing and use that outside spigot. Also I am needing new equipment since I have to brew outside. My biggest question right now is this, if I use the inside soft water to clean/sanitize my brewing equipment, will that mess it up in any way or be enough to add off flavors? I was going to make a batch of JAOM tonight since that is easy enough while waiting for other equipment like a burner. However that got me to thinking, is it OK to wash the one gallon carboy and the outside of the orange with softened water? I am not sure what to do. I will only be in this house for a few months, but I kind of want to get a batch going after the big move. Thanks. :confused:

I wouldn't worry about washing stuff in the softened water. It ain't poison. It's just not suitable for brewing.

You mentioned sanitizing. Do you not use StarSan? Don't rinse that off.

You may want to add 1/2 a Campden tab to that tap water in case they use chloramine in addition to chlorine.

First off, Welcome to AZ. I'm probably not too far from you @ I-17 and Greenway. I also am in the Soft water and purification business here, so I might be able to help you out when you get all set up.

I don't think we use Chloramine in the municipal water. Chlorine levels are pretty darned high though. Definitely use the city water ran through a carbon filter for brew water and wash everything in the soft water.

Thanks,
I am not new to AZ. I have lived here 13 years. Just started brewing out here. Before I was brewing in Michigan. I work there and spent so much time there that is where I began brewing. I recently moved the whole operation here to AZ, and found that it is not as ideal yet. I have to make the move to the back yard due to the new stove not being big enough for a kettle. It is one of the dual oven set ups. So that is more equipment that I need. A filter and burner to start anyway. I just wanted to make sure that the soft water wont leave deposits on the brew equipment if I use if for cleaning.

softened water just has a small amount of salt in it, usually potassium to help reduce the calcium level. If it's safe to drink it should be fine for cleaning. Hit the grocery store for some filtered bottled water to brew with though it's probably worth the $6.

It may seem obvious, but if the water "tastes terrible", it isn't appropriate for brewing no matter how hard or soft it is.

Bad tasting water will make bad tasting beer, as beer is mostly water anyway.

My biggest question right now is this, if I use the inside soft water to clean/sanitize my brewing equipment, will that mess it up in any way or be enough to add off flavors?

I think this is the OPs main concern. Not really anything, but a concern about using soft water for washing his equipment.

To that, you are 100% O.K. washing your equipment with softened water. You'll be rinsing with it as well and sanitizing after that. You would get little to nothing from the soft water left on you pots and stuff.

Back