SoFla 2011 - Looking good.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pwrflpills

Reaction score
3.16.11 - 2nd year plants. Training the strongest looking bines up the mason's twine (1st try with that stuff - it's already stretched a bit on its own). Clipped a bunch of little shoots around the base of each and they just keep coming.

Anyone think I should clip what's showing here and let the new shoot come up? They're just doing so well it kills me to do that.

Cascade:
img2348e.jpg

By pcoyle25

Centennial:
img2349py.jpg

By pcoyle25

looks very good. Please update your pics during our growing season. I live just north of Tampa and will be following your thread closely since most sources I have read say that hops won't grow in Florida.

They most certainly will, Mr. Banker. I started these last March and got 1.5 gallon size freezer bags of Cascade. Not a lot of weight, but made me happy to get positive results. Centennial didn't fair as well - just a few handfuls of cones and it's lagging far behind the Cascade right now. I'll try to update as much as I can!

pwrflpills: I'm waiting on delivery of my rhizomes. Waiting patiently, I guess :( Well, maybe not. Seeing your pics and hearing that yours have already sprouted make me ask why it is taking so long for RebelBrewer to deliver...

I remember waiting a while for mine as well. I think I got them right about this time last year. Bines were breaking the surface of the soil within about 2 weeks and I was concerned that they were coming up too early. Obviously frost isn't a concern, but I was harvesting in July. Then I got some minor growth in the Fall (just a few feet), which eventually died. Don't worry, it takes time for the rhizomes to become available and then they have to fill all of the orders as this is getting more and more popular to do. You've got plenty of time!

3.16.11 - 2nd year plants. Training the strongest looking bines up the mason's twine (1st try with that stuff - it's already stretched a bit on its own). Clipped a bunch of little shoots around the base of each and they just keep coming.

Anyone think I should clip what's showing here and let the new shoot come up? They're just doing so well it kills me to do that.

Cascade:
img2348e.jpg

By pcoyle25

Centennial:
img2349py.jpg

By pcoyle25

Are you leaving those in the pots, 5 gallon I assume. I'm curious how much they will grow in there. I'll be getting some and putting them in post too due to moving in a year. Looks good.

My guess is they're at least 10 gallon. Much bigger than a 5 gal bucket (see pic). The Cascade is growing like crazy. I just started marking it to see what the daily growth is. Burrs starting to form already!
img6165.jpg
By pcoyle25 at 2011-03-21[/IMG]
img6166xj.jpg
img6167ns.jpg

By pcoyle25 at 2011-03-21

My guess is they're at least 10 gallon. Much bigger than a 5 gal bucket (see pic). The Cascade is growing like crazy. I just started marking it to see what the daily growth is. Burrs starting to form already!
img6165.jpg
img6166xj.jpg
img6167ns.jpg

By pcoyle25 at 2011-03-21

Nice dude! I'm in Fort Lauderdale, and just planted my rhizomes in 20" containers this weekend. Can't wait to see how they do.

My second year Cascades look like your picture #2 right now. Much greener than they were in the first year. Layed on some 10-10-10 fertilizer, plus some 34-0-0 a month or so ago.

Back