Sodium Metabisulfite and re-pitching yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I wanted to give a try to add some Sodium Metabifulfite (SMB) to a lager in hopes of further reducing oxygen levels as shown by recent Brulosophy posts. I just added 0.3grams (the same amount the guys at Brulosophy use) to a pilsner when dry hopping. Although I had a brain fart because I had planned to use that yeast again in another brew this week. SMB says right on the bottle "kills wild yeast" although it does recommend a much larger dosage than I used.

Did I mess up, or will my yeast be fine after I brew some new wort and pitch some of the cake with it? Or should I go buy new yeast, which is a bummer because this strain is a bit hard to find?

I may be completely off base here but I think you'll be ok...I'm pretty sure it just knocks the yeast out making them flocculate so when introduced to new sugar they won't eat it restarting fermentation.

From a quick search I found this thread and response leading me to believe you'll be ok!

Read Me!

I wanted to give a try to add some Sodium Metabifulfite (SMB) to a lager in hopes of further reducing oxygen levels as shown by recent Brulosophy posts. I just added 0.3grams (the same amount the guys at Brulosophy use) to a pilsner when dry hopping.
That's really not a great idea. Spunding is a much more effective process.

The yeast are completely fine to reuse. This level of sulfites has absolutely no effect on them.

I may be completely off base here but I think you'll be ok...I'm pretty sure it just knocks the yeast out making them flocculate so when introduced to new sugar they won't eat it restarting fermentation.

From a quick search I found this thread and response leading me to believe you'll be ok!

Read Me!
:no:

Here, this article is a work in progress, but it's way better than most of the other online sources:
https://***************.com/wiki/Sulfite

That's really not a great idea. Spunding is a much more effective process.

The yeast are completely fine to reuse. This level of sulfites has absolutely no effect on them.

:no:

Here, this article is a work in progress, but it's way better than most of the other online sources:
https://***************.com/wiki/Sulfite

Well I wasn't wrong he's going to be ok, but thank you for the interesting article!

Latest posts

Back