Social Media...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natdavis777

Reaction score
To preface, Im young. Im 28, very soon to be 29. I get social media. I was in college when Facebook first appeared. But I think things have spiraled out of control.

When FB first emerged, it was mainly to connect with other college friends, and then expanded to accessibility for anyone to keep in touch. KEEP IN TOUCH. Now it seems like an egotistical way to promote one's self.

90% of what I see anymore are selfies. I can understand the concept of a selfie, but c'mon, in a public situation, you can't ask some stranger to take the picture for you? Are you that antisocial?!Of course, who would want to take a picture of you eating your big mac or vegan wrap with your trailing hashtags (to be followed) because that is "of the essence". But if the time calls for a picture and no one is around, by all means, selfie that sh*t.

I have a good amount of friends who take countless pics of their beer. Yes, I get it, you are on your 9th Zombie Dust. Awesome. You have a rare beer. Putting it on a forum like this, condone-able, we are all craft beer people. Making it every post for 5 hours on FB or Instagram, it gets old.....fast.

Then the hashtags after everything. #weld#welding#art#artwork#weldingartwork...................... We got it.

Maybe I am being cynical. I am only on social media like FB to follow local breweries for events and releases, and to follow certain events for friends. I dont care about everyone's post workout stitch pics of them smiling after a 2 mile run or after they finished p90x. EGOS!!!!

I like to see informative things posted like from HBT or other sources, watching friend's children's milestones reached, etc. I rip on my dad and brother for doing the crap I am complaining about. Its a great outlet for business promotion now, and I completely get that. Free advertisement.

But from a personal standpoint, is it really necessary to take a picture of every meal, every beer, every workout, every morning selfie, every bottle of water you drink, every sh*t you take, etc?

Please tell me my wife and I are not the only ones in this boat....

I have no idea what you are talking about. What is this "Social" thing you are talking about #norcalbrewingsolutions #Jaybird #what is a# Baahhhaaaaaa

No man really I totally get you! I'm 42 a business owner and I think the whole # thing is WAY out of whack!

Cheers
Jay

I'm 31, and fb came out to the general university public my freshman year of college. So there's no way that it came out when you were in college... It just wasn't available to you yet, until you made it to college.
That being said, I completely agree with you. It gets boring. I hardly ever check twitter anymore, only check fb because my fam and friends are in the other side of the world. I have a rule of thumb that if I would want to avoid having a conversation with if I was passing you on the street, then you're clearly not my friend, and definitely not my fb friend. That at least helps the egotistical crap constantly posted to being bearable because they're people I actually care about. I also don't do the "like" pages. They're a waste of my time.

I'm 31, and fb came out to the general university public my freshman year of college. So there's no way that it came out when you were in college... It just wasn't available to you yet, until you made it to college.
That being said, I completely agree with you. It gets boring. I hardly ever check twitter anymore, only check fb because my fam and friends are in the other side of the world. I have a rule of thumb that if I would want to avoid having a conversation with if I was passing you on the street, then you're clearly not my friend, and definitely not my fb friend. That at least helps the egotistical crap constantly posted to being bearable because they're people I actually care about. I also don't do the "like" pages. They're a waste of my time.

If you are 31, then you were born in 1984. Assuming you started college @ 18, that would be 2002. His first program wasnt written until 2003, and then it wasnt to the general public.

It was made official in 2004, the year I graduated high school. Hence, started college, fall of 04'. Therefore, it was new, and for college students only, when I started college.

To preface, Im young. Im 28, very soon to be 29. I get social media. I was in college when Facebook first appeared. But I think things have spiraled out of control.

When FB first emerged, it was mainly to connect with other college friends, and then expanded to accessibility for anyone to keep in touch. KEEP IN TOUCH. Now it seems like an egotistical way to promote one's self.

<snip>

Please tell me my wife and I are not the only ones in this boat....

Nope, you aren' the only one. I won't touch FB with a 10-foot pole, and while I do have a Twitter account, I only use it to post jokes. I can't remember the last time I made a post there (aside from dealing with a girlfriend that already had a boyfriend).

Oh, and to me, there is no such thing as a "hashtag". It's called a pound sign.

:D

Nope, you aren' the only one. I won't touch FB with a 10-foot pole, and while I do have a Twitter account, I only use it to post jokes. I can't remember the last time I made a post there (aside from dealing with a girlfriend that already had a boyfriend).

Oh, and to me, there is no such thing as a "hashtag". It's called a pound sign.

:D

Only reason, and Im 100% serious, to join Twitter was to follow Bruce Buffer. I could have sworn he tweeted everything in capital letters and exclamation points... "ITS TIME...... FOR A SHOWER!!!" "STEAK AND EGGS FOR BREAKFAST!!"

If you are 31, then you were born in 1984. Assuming you started college @ 18, that would be 2002. His first program wasnt written until 2003, and then it wasnt to the general public.

It was made official in 2004, the year I graduated high school. Hence, started college, fall of 04'. Therefore, it was new, and for college students only, when I started college.

83 actually. But I started college a little later. Started college '03, so you're right I didn't get it until spring '04. I guess I assumed that everyone three years younger than me started college two years after me, since I took a year off. My bad.
Back then was when it was cool. I remember actually considering quitting it when they made it available to the general public and not just college students. But by then I already had friends around the world that I wanted to keep in contact with.
I still believe that it is what you make it. I use it to find interesting articles and to keep in contact with people. Anybody who posts only dumb ****, I just either unfriend or at least unfollow.

I knew we had reached a new societal low when they called them "hashtags" instead of pound sign in a top secret password in the movie Olympus has fallen. I think that was the name of the movie. It wasn't very good.

Anyway, Internet land != reality. But people sure act like it does.

#ITSCALLEDAPOUNDSIGN

:p

Not if you're British it isn't! £ is a pound sign, # is a hash symbol lol.

What is that saying about two nations separated by a common language?

Btw o.p. That's exactly why I opted out of social media about 4 years ago (although I do still use LinkedIn for professional networking, but that doesn't suffer from outbursts of selfies). I only really look at brewing and engineering forums for digital interactions now. All the people I'm bothered about contacting have my number & I have theirs. [emoji482]

Back