soapy wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnyb73

Reaction score
Hi all!! I'm brewing my first batch of beer from a coopers microbrew kit. It came with a lager canned extract, 1kg dextrose & yeast.
My question is when I took my first hydrometer reading I decided to taste a bit just to see what was going on & I noticed it tasted very much like soap. Is this normal?

What you just tasted is no indication of what the final product will be. It's probably good you tried it just so you know, but a couple weeks from now it will be vastly different. I stopped tasting my hydro samples because as you will see, they all taste the same for the most part. I would not worry. It should be fine.

When I first started I used the Coopers as well.
I noticed a faint soapy taste in all the batches we brewed.
I used to think it was the fermenter bucket.

However, when I moved onto partial mash and away from the can the soapy taste disappeared.

I am not telling you that is your cause, only what I noticed.

BTW, ditch the cans. :D

When I first started I used the Coopers as well.
I noticed a faint soapy taste in all the batches we brewed.
I used to think it was the fermenter bucket.

However, when I moved onto partial mash and away from the can the soapy taste disappeared.

I am not telling you that is your cause, only what I noticed.

BTW, ditch the cans. :D

Never noticed the soapy taste myself and I've been brewing for 16 years including all-grain, mini-mash, or whatever brewing method there is. The cans work fine for me.

Back