Soapy Taste from Cascade Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plankbr

Reaction score
Is it just me or does any beer I drink that has Cascade hops impart a 'soapy' taste? This isn't to start a slam on Cascade hops, just to spark a discussion. I am very well aware that everybody has subjective tastes, but I am just wanting to see if there is anyone besides me in the same boat...

I am in a related boat..... I get a "soapy" taste from centennial if I use a bunch of it. When I brewed northern brewer's Dead Ringer..... I really noticed it - ton of Centennial though. I am fine with about 2 ounces, but as soon as I hit 3-4-5-6 ounces of centennial, it gives me a soapy/cleaner type flavor..... So, I could see that with Cascade as well, as they are similar hops in some ways. I like cascade and centennial... I just blend them in with other hops like chinook, columbus, Pearle, falconers flight, simcoe, etc...
Now, that being said, you want to make sure it is really something you are getting from the hops..... and not "soapy" from some other source in your process. Cascade is a great hop, maybe "the" hop for pale ales and IPA's over the last couple decades. So, just be sure to look into other variables and possibilities.

I'm not a huge fan of cascade and I can see where you're coming from with the "soapy" comment. I'd guess it's like how certain people find the taste of cilantro really bad (I want to say that's also a "soapy" flavor for those people).

I'm not a huge fan of cascade and I can see where you're coming from with the "soapy" comment. I'd guess it's like how certain people find the taste of cilantro really bad (I want to say that's also a "soapy" flavor for those people).

That is exactly how some people describe cilantro when too much is used. Not a big fan of cascades either and would go so far as say they can be "skunky" even. But, recently discovered Deschutes red chair ale and was wondering what hops they were using. If it turns out to be cascades, I may be tempted to take it all back. :mug:

I just had a Founder's Pale Ale and a MadTree Psychopathy. The Psychopathy definitely has a soapy taste to me. The Founders seemed a bit less on this taste. Again, just observations from my point of view.

That is exactly how some people describe cilantro when too much is used. Not a big fan of cascades either and would go so far as say they can be "skunky" even. But, recently discovered Deschutes red chair ale and was wondering what hops they were using. If it turns out to be cascades, I may be tempted to take it all back. :mug:

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/red-chair-nw-pale-ale

Cascade and centennial. I really enjoy Red Chair, so it's not very consistent with me, but I have had cascade-centric beers that I've not been a fan of.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/red-chair-nw-pale-ale

Cascade and centennial. I really enjoy Red Chair, so it's not very consistent with me, but I have had cascade-centric beers that I've not been a fan of.

Thanks! Been looking forward to an answer on that. Oddly, I even loved the nose on the Red Chair. Will still be a while till I brew anything cascades since for now anyway I am working on classic styles with classic ingredients and none of them are American:mug:

Is it just me or does any beer I drink that has Cascade hops impart a 'soapy' taste? This isn't to start a slam on Cascade hops, just to spark a discussion. I am very well aware that everybody has subjective tastes, but I am just wanting to see if there is anyone besides me in the same boat...
I have just tasted Marston's EPA and it has cascade hop and has a strong taste of soap, there are quite a few famous beers which also use this hop and they taste of industrial soap. You are right!

I tend to find that cascade in and of itself does not make a beer taste soapy to me. But cascade and S-05 definitely tends more toward the sudsy, which I could see how some people would perceive soap.

I've done old school west coast IPAs with cascade and other yeasts like WLP001 and 051, but again this is just my perception.

I had a soapy saison once because i added a touch of Mg to match a Belgian water profile. Could be the minerals......

Back