Soap in my Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noldar

Reaction score
My wife has been taking an active roll in our last two brews. Tonight's plan was to bottle what was in our secondary and brew up a new batch.

All goes as planned until it's time to cool the wort. As I am to spend the next 20 or so minutes getting it down to 80ish, she takes the equipment to the bathroom and begins the cleaning.

After about 10 minutes of switching the pot from sink to sink, I let the pot sit in a sink full of ice and go to the bathroom to see if SWMBO would like a beer. As I turn the corner, I notice my glass carboy full of half water, half soad suds from the dawn soap she was using.

I told her to rinse it out real well because you are not to supposed to use soap because of the oils/residue that could effect head retention while also creating an off flavor then shrug it off. Bless her heart for even letting me do this hobby and now spending time with me while I do it.

I go to the fridge to get her a beer when it hits me ... She cleaned the primary glass carboy from our last batch. I quickly cleaned and sanitized my bucket and am using that for tonight.

So my question is ...

How can I get soap residue out of my carboys?

Yeah, a lot of rinsing and you'll be ok. I picked up a copy of the new book : The Homebrewer's Answer Book from BYO and dish soap is ok as long as you get it all out and let it dry completely.

Back