Soaking Coffee Beans in Bourbon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainyDay

Reaction score
I have a stout that I brewed last weekend to which that I'll be adding bourbon and coffee beans (full disclosure, it's a chocolate coffee oatmeal stout with vanilla beans and bourbon - Elijah Craig bourbon if you're curious), and I intend to soak the vanilla beans in the bourbon before adding both to the secondary.

Seeing my measured bourbon and (Zoka) coffee beans sitting next to each other got me thinking about soaking the coffee beans in the bourbon as well.

I know that higher alcohol solutions will extract compounds differently (~42% bourbon vs 8-9% stout), but I've never tried this or heard about doing this with coffee beans. Has anyone tried this, or have any feedback on potential results? Could it extract more bitterness as opposed to just letting it sit in the stout? Maybe stronger flavor notes already present in the coffee? Will it just make the bourbon darker?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just did a vanilla coffee pale ale with coffee beans and vanilla beans soaked in vodka for a week or so before dumping the whole mess in. It was excellent, lots of coffee flavor, much different than cold brewing coffee and adding, would do again. Used about 3 oz of really good medium roast beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back