So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well what can I say, it was $2.25 for 2.5 gal last time I bought it. Gal jugs are now 1.08. However Harris teeter and publix were both over $3 for the 2.5 gal. Sadly, I'm going to have to buy that, or try aldi.
Finally last weekend 31st is when I emptied and filled my mead 5 gal fermenter. I'll be doing the kombucha today/tomorrow.

Finally cooling off in Texas (well it’s still 99° but early mornings are manageable). Going to brew @Wayne1 ’s Blue Moon recipe tomorrow. 2nd go at this, first one was a hit at my sons grad party. I’m going to split the 10 gallon batch and add Oregon Raspberry Purée to one 5 gallon batch and have one regular 5 gallon batch.

Brewing up a Vienna Lager today.
2EEC48FD-94A2-4BC4-8BC8-52C0CA1EC98C.jpeg

Brewed a Left Over Lager (get it---LOL) out of some left over grains and DME.

4.4 lbs Barke Vienna
1 lb Maris Otter
0.35 lbs Barke Munich
1 oz Carafa 2
1 lb Pilsen Light DME

1 oz Styrian Holdings @ 60 min
1 oz Styrian Holdings @ 5 min

Diamond Lager yeast

4 gallons

OG= 1.048

Last edited:
I|'m about a week late posting this, but last week I brewed up a saison. Pils, vienna, and rye malts, plus sugar. Magnum for bittering and saaz hops, Mangrove Jack French Saison yeast.
hit my numbers almost exactly. brewed last monday, and it's still glugging along. I haven't checked gravity yet, but I have to presume it's getting close.

Just milled the grain for a WF lager batch tomorrow. Been working on dialling in my crush; I've owned my grain mill for a little over 3 years, and it's either mostly flour or too many intact kernels (motorized mill where I cannot change the rpms). This time conditioned the grain, sent first pass through at about .062, then second pass at .040. Much better looking crush with mostly intact hulls. Looking forward to seeing what gravity I get out of it tomorrow.

20220819_193803[1].jpg

It's 10.15 on a Saturday night
BeerSmith's open and nothing looks right
I've got an open keg in the kitchen sink

And my mouse finger goes...
click, click, click, click, click, click, click

Apologies to The Cure. I've got an open ale keg and I'm not sure what to brew. I wish this summer would end because I really want to get on with the serious business of my UK program, but it's too hot for that.

Damn.

Maybe I'll find inspiration in the morning.

Brewed an Amarillo/Simcoe/Sabro cryo double hazy yesterday. Hit my numbers and then some (1.076 target, 1.082 achieved). Split base of pilsner and MO with 15% wheat, 6% golden naked oats and 4% CaraGold. 10 minute additions of 15g Amarillo and Simcoe cryo. 25g each of Amarillo and Simcoe cryo in the whirlpool with 15g Incognito Sabro extract. Fermenting slightly warm (22°C) with WLP644 and had taken off like a rocket this morning.

Brewed an Amarillo/Simcoe/Sabro cryo double hazy yesterday. Hit my numbers and then some (1.076 target, 1.082 achieved). Split base of pilsner and MO with 15% wheat, 6% golden naked oats and 4% CaraGold. 10 minute additions of 15g Amarillo and Simcoe cryo. 25g each of Amarillo and Simcoe cryo in the whirlpool with 15g Incognito Sabro extract. Fermenting slightly warm (22°C) with WLP644 and had taken off like a rocket this morning.
This one's looking good. Nice vigorous yeast activity and my workshop smells like a tropical fruit punch.
Taking into account how much darker stuff tends to look in the fermenter, I'd say I'm about where I want to be colour wise

PXL-20220822-110927916.jpg

Should be about 9 EBC/4.5 SRM.

Our brewing group (not really a club, just friends who brew) are having another group brewday this weekend; going to do an Irish Red. Had a couple in Boston, and another at a little place in Enumclaw on Sunday. Forgot how much I like them. Trying to keep costs down, so will go with grain I already have, will have to buy some hops from LHBS, and going to ferment it on some proven Lutra slurry. I've used it with great success in my blondes, want to see what it does in a red.

Our brewing group (not really a club, just friends who brew) are having another group brewday this weekend; going to do an Irish Red. Had a couple in Boston, and another at a little place in Enumclaw on Sunday. Forgot how much I like them. Trying to keep costs down, so will go with grain I already have, will have to buy some hops from LHBS, and going to ferment it on some proven Lutra slurry. I've used it with great success in my blondes, want to see what it does in a red.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/raging-red-irish-red-ale.239188/post-9064497
Mine took a long time to come around. It just tasted off for a couple months or more. Eventually it tasted fine though. I didn't have that issue with WLP001. Can't say for sure the Lutra was behind the off taste, but I won't use it again on my Irish Red Ale.

Brewing an IPA this weekend.

90% Golden Promise, 5% Caravienne, 5% wheat

A ton of Strata, mostly in the whirlpool. A little Strata and Amarillo Cryo dry hop.

BRY-97 yeast. Haven’t used this one before, but I’ve heard good things.

Hmm. Might have to switch the yeast to fresh Notty. What exactly was 'off', in your opinion?
It just had a weird taste that I can’t describe. Eventually it started tasting a bit better, like a generic red ale. Then finally weeks, if not months later it tasted like the Irish Red Ale I expected it to. I suppose I could have done something wrong while brewing, but I’ve made that IRA many times before without issue. Though this was the only time I used Lutra in it. I’ve used Lutra in other beers without this problem so maybe I had an old or bad batch?

Brewing my blue moon clone this weekend by popular demand. The Girl I taught to do leather work is coming in from college (fermentation sciences degree) and she’s excited to learn beer brewing as she is on the vino side of things. So it’ll be a party in the shop complete with beer, brewing beer, music and some good laughs for sure!

Oh!!!! And she’s bringing a few wines and a mead that she’s made. So I’ve got samples to partake in!

Then transferring the IPA I’ve got in fermenter over to keg and dry hopping it.

I brewed a saison this Sunday using a couple things I haven't tried before.

Included a pound of jaggery raw sugar to an otherwise simple grist and I'll be interested to see if it imparts any flavor to the final product. It tasted good as I was shaving it off the cone.

I also used BE-134 Belgian Saison yeast for the first time. I hear mostly good things, including that it doesn't have the stall issues common with 1st generation WY3724. Hoping it's not like WY3711/Belle in terms of yeast character.

20220825_115440.jpg

Back