So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a 2.5 gal batch of Altbier at the city house today. A little over 3 gal into the fermenter at 1.050. One of those brewdays when everything was on autopilot. I’ll take those any time.
DAAE2949-B3C7-467F-84F6-C11ACC5E61BE.jpeg

8EE23929-A71F-4BBE-9C63-5CE1C05D34E7.jpeg

It's been tough finding time to brew these days with the little ones at the feet. Four long prime brewing months without a brewday. 70s+ in the basement coming real soon.

Decided to see if I can make something enjoyable with a minimum of time and effort.

4Gal VIF
29IBU
30m boil

85% Briess Pale Ale DME, 1/2 withheld for flameout
15% DIY Invert #2 @ flameout

FWH Fuggle 14.5IBU
30m Fuggle 14.5IBU
0m EKG .125oz/Gal
175° Whirlpool EKG .125oz/Gal

While my all-grain day lasts 5-6 hours, this was in the fermenter with the kitchen cleaned in under three.

Last edited:
Got the mash going on what will be a Citra Pale ale, for an upcoming competition. Finally cobbled together a heat jacket for my kettle out of some leftover thermowrap; later today I'll hit up Home Depot for a fresh roll, and do the thing up proper with velcro. For today a bungee and some spring clamps are doing the job.
20220410_065743[1].jpg

47 litres to fermenter, 3.5 kg of German pilsner, 3.5 kg of Malteurop pilsen and a kg of wheat malt.
Hopped with styrian goldings and bramling cross. Then ran off at whirpool temperatures half through elderflower and the other half through Pohutakawa stamens. A right pain to pick these, likely never again baked in the hot sun up a ladder.
Couple of saisons the Pohutakawa is fermenting on 100% Brett so could be interesting.

1649637066169.png

Pohutakawa is known as the New Zealand christmas tree, interesting smell to the stamens ( the spikey bits in this picture) . Probably be ready around Christmas time.

Doing what I'm calling Bottom of the Bins brew weekend. Have just enough pilsner and two-row for two batches; a Blonde today that will ferment on fresh Lutra Kveik, and a lager tomorrow on some proven Imperial Urkel. Using the mash tun this weekend instead of BIAB, just so it doesn't think I forgot about it in my BIAB obsession.

I have a starter happily chugging away for a kolsch brew on Saturday!
Yardwork kept me from brewing today. Family Easter activities (and the weather) will keep me from brewing tomorrow. I'm headed out of town to the beach next week, and I have commitments next weekend.

This life thing is seriously cutting in on my brew schedule, and I'm pissed. I'm straight up taking an extra day of vacation to brew after the beach, just to brew.

Yardwork kept me from brewing today. Family Easter activities (and the weather) will keep me from brewing tomorrow. I'm headed out of town to the beach next week, and I have commitments next weekend.

This life thing is seriously cutting in on my brew schedule, and I'm pissed. I'm straight up taking an extra day of vacation to brew after the beach, just to brew.

You'll have to come up with a good name for this beer, maybe Beach Body Kolsch or something referencing the Holiday, vacation and no time to brew.... I'm never good at naming my homebrews.

Brewing tomorrow, wife will be out of town visiting her mom a couple days. She hates the smell of brewing, but loves the end product, so I take advantage of my "bachelor" time to brew when she's not around. For me...there's nothing so sublime as the aroma of wet grains and hops permeating the house...

Doing a brew of leftover ingredients, will make some kind of APA. One of my "Leftoverture" brews. Like @seatazzz's "Bottom of the Bin."

Vienna, a little CaraPils and Victory, bitter and flavor with Ariana, then will try my first attempt at a hopstand, using Ariana and Callista. (Yeah, all these years brewing and never done a hopstand until now.) Pitching US-05. Need some lawnmower beer for summer, if summer ever comes. ;)

Hoping to get a Kölsch-style beer going in the new Flex+ and I'll be building my yeast starter for a Rotbier as well. May pump out a little bitter after kegging my if there is time.

Edit: My wife says it's time for an IPA so I guess I'll work that in either this weekend or next in place of the Bitter. Got to keep everyone happy!

Last edited:
Friend who was interested in brewing came over yesterday and we brewed an experimental ipa with escarpment labs thiol libre. Bunch of saaz and perle in with the mash and some cascade and simcoe in the whirlpool, no dry hop planned. Escarpment Labs warns that testing has found some unwanted phenolics with local pilsner malts but good resulets with local pale ale malts, so I used a blend of pale ale malts from two Canadian producers along with some oats. Curious to see how much tropical fruit aromas we get with this yeast and none of the traditional free thiol heavy hops.

F012916B-134C-435E-A30E-BF0ED8A3CF28.jpeg
A6253312-A6DD-407D-8519-8E2185F51537.jpeg
63F83819-8FC5-445E-B51C-7AF3EE6F38E5.jpeg
Pull the yeast starter out of the fridge to warm up. Just finished draining the bag (BIAB method here) now the wort is heating up for the boil. Trying my hand at what I’ll call an DH American Pilsner with Opal hops. Something lower ABV but appeals to the macro drinker friends. I want to make something for this falls guys camping trip that most might like. So we shall see.

well i got 13 gallons of something that hydro tells me is 1.032 at 135f, it's in a pot...got the spurs to it

i got some old hops i'm trying to use up, might add them. and i've heard of people using malt syrup for bread before, so i might add some yeast?

anyone know if that's a good idea, or not?

It's been tough finding time to brew these days with the little ones at the feet. Four long prime brewing months without a brewday. 70s+ in the basement coming real soon.

Decided to see if I can make something enjoyable with a minimum of time and effort.

4Gal VIF
29IBU
30m boil

85% Briess Pale Ale DME, 1/2 withheld for flameout
15% DIY Invert #2 @ flameout

FWH Fuggle 14.5IBU
30m Fuggle 14.5IBU
0m EKG .125oz/Gal
175° Whirlpool EKG .125oz/Gal

While my all-grain day lasts 5-6 hours, this was in the fermenter with the kitchen cleaned in under three.

Another of these quick extract bitters. Got a batch brewed and a job application submitted, all during a sick baby's nap.

20220424_154939.jpg

I plan on a 2.5 gallon batch of NEIPA this weekend with whatever I have on hand, since I've neglected to place an order for too long. Making a starter with A38 tomorrow night, and brewing Sunday. Instead of my usual recipe, I'm winging it with just Cascade and Lemondrop since that's what I have right now.

Back