So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Settling into a two hour boil. Followed the strike water volume when measuring out the sparge again. Whoops. Unplanned wort reduction on the left.

View attachment 750507

Got it all in!

20211128_134258.jpg

Brewed a Traditional Bock with the help of my dad and my great neighbor who happens to be COO of a local craft brewery. Pictures are dough in, sparge, boil, and parked in fermentor after yeast pitched.

Attachments

• F1896D43-1863-4C4A-9B8B-A9FED9D18D3C.jpeg
    F1896D43-1863-4C4A-9B8B-A9FED9D18D3C.jpeg
    702.5 KB · Views: 22
  • A8BD043F-B37E-4F87-9664-7E33B0EF2D9F.jpeg
    A8BD043F-B37E-4F87-9664-7E33B0EF2D9F.jpeg
    724.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 68AA1CBF-7983-4874-8B5F-9FC9E486231F.jpeg
    68AA1CBF-7983-4874-8B5F-9FC9E486231F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 80AFB360-8FFA-4E6A-A1E1-69B3CB3EA844.jpeg
    80AFB360-8FFA-4E6A-A1E1-69B3CB3EA844.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Not the weekend, but I’m home on isolation with Covid so finally getting in my cream ale using barley from a local farm.

Our unofficial brew club is having its winter gathering this Saturday, when we get to take our brewing equipment on the road and party. Many people show up, but only three or sometimes four of us brew; as of right now we've got a Black IPA, Irish Death Clone, and my Wookey Jack clone on the roster so it's gonna be a dark brewing day. Should be ready to tap right around the 24th. Just waiting on the hops to arrive, and the motivation to dig out the camp stove from where it's buried in the garage. Also hoping my mouth is in better shape by Saturday; had a tooth pulled this afternoon and had to have a bone graft put in for a future implant, and it hurts like no mans business.

A local shop had the Lallemand Farmhouse yeast in stock, so I wanted to give it a try. I used the same recipe as a recently bottled Saison that was fermented with WLP565.
  • 2.5 Gallon Batch, OG: 1.056
  • 4 lbs (72.7%) Pilsner Malt, Avangard
  • 1 lb (18.2%) Spelt Malt, Bestmalz
  • 8 oz (9.1%) Munich I, Weyermann
  • 0.3 oz Northern Brewer (19 IBU) @ 60 min
  • 0.75 oz Hersbrucker (6 IBU) @ 10 min
  • 1 pkg Lallemand Farmhouse

IMG_3675.JPG
IMG_3679.JPG

Forgot to take pics, but finally got in my last brew of the year, a weizenbock. A majority of the wheat was "hard red wheat" from a local maltster. And "hard" was right! Couldn't mill it as fine as I wanted, so efficiency suffered a bit, but well within range for the style.

I've had a busy travel schedule with work over the last few months so I'm taking the day off.

Brewing a NEIPA today with Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy all in hopstand and dry hop.

70% Golden Promise and 10% each of White Wheat, Chit and Malted Oats.

Verdant IPA yeast.

Cheers!

My brew system has been sitting idle in my garage for 2 years... I need some motivation to brew something this weekend... My grains, even though stored airtight, are probably useless at this point.

Attachments

• Herms.jpg
    Herms.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Ended up at 1.056, missing my target OG of 1.067. oh well. Still dry hopping at the same rate, so it's going to be hoppy as frick!

PXL_20211217_211101565.jpg

After the fiasco last weekend of stuck mash & sparge (although the beer is fine), today I milled much coarser and will brew up an IPA with CTZ, Chinook, Mosaic, & Citra. In the mash now, about 30 minutes to turning on the pump for recirculation and see if I did it right. And hopefully later today Fedex Stagecoach Service (at least it seems like it traveled that way, taking a week to get from CA to WA) will deliver the new line and fittings for the kegerator; had planned to get that installed while brewing but, oh well.

Not brewing but I added apple brandy soaked oak cubes to my imperial birthday brown that’s been conditioning for 6 months. Beer went crazy when I added it. Haven’t seen this before, pretty sure it’s infected. Will still wait on it 6 more months and see what happens. 😐
1F74C5AE-715B-4691-81FE-E4CFEF28470A.jpeg
E2075EA8-B413-4D53-B706-0ED6E614DF62.jpeg

Yep, brewing a fresh batch of my blonde tomorrow, have plans on entering it into the Brewers Cup this year.
You able to share the recipe or is it a trade secret!? I've made the Centennial Blonde and it was good but not exactly my favorite, looking to try a different light beer for visitors.

Brewed a basic American Lager. 45% 2 row, 45% Pilsner, 5% flaked corn and 5% table sugar. Magnum and Willamette to about 15 IBU. .070 first runnings, .050 preboil, .060 into the fermenter. My BMC drinking friends and family should be happy.

Just milled the grain for My Very First Full BIAB WF Lager (a very weird children's book title too). Got a lot of family stuff to do tomorrow, as well as a wee bit more shopping, but tomorrow early morning is MINE. Got my new bag, pulley setup, and this last weekend finally fastened the surge protector that my pump plugs into off the floor, using a lot of velcro. Tomorrow is either going to be an epic success or a disaster; either way I'm sure I'll post updates because that's what I do.

Have declared to the household my wish to brew this weekend. If the planets align, I'll do so.

11-11-11 Gunstock Ale
UK pale ale malt
Amber
Brown
Invert #4/treacle (got a bit of both, not enough of either)
Target bittering
EKG late
Bootleg's Old Ale blend (my 1st Brett)
Medium Hungarian oak in primary

Wow, great!
I too decided to brew the 1939 version instead of the 1935, which I planned initially.
It seems a bit less extreme in hops (42 IBU vs 67 IBU) and alcohol (6.6% vs 7.1%) than the 1935.
Would be nice to compare our concoctions when they're ready!

Wow, great!
I too decided to brew the 1939 version instead of the 1935, which I planned initially.
It seems a bit less extreme in hops (42 IBU vs 67 IBU) and alcohol (6.6% vs 7.1%) than the 1935.
Would be nice to compare our concoctions when they're ready!

First of all, I don't have 6-row on hand. Second, I figured the lower stats you mentioned might require less conditioning. Would love to drink it with March's lion.

Latest posts

Back