So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link; I recently acquired one of these but it won't fit in my fermentation chamber without modification. Morebeer sells a coolstix system made for the spiedel 30L but they want quite a bit of green for it. This jacket looks like a great solution.
To edit my post above I said I can swap out three 3L frozen water bottles to hit 60°. Meant to type three 1.5L (Trader Joe) frozen water bottles.

I'll be brewing a batch of Euro Trash. That's my tribute to Becks, the best of the boring generic green bottle beers--IMO. Fresh and on draft it isn't complete garbage, but it is close. My version involves lots of late additions and a whirlpool addition. Sadly, my version is lacking in Eurobeats, hair gel, leather, cigarettes, cocaine, uncomfortable trousers, and an annoying proclivity for interjecting Theodor F'ing Adorno into the conversation when all I really want to know is the location of the bathroom. On those grounds, I'll concede that it isn't completely authentic. On the plus side, you'll ask for a second pour.

With all that in the balance, I'll call it a draw.

Mashed in on another batch of lager this morning; that stuff disappears like nobodys business around here. Force carbing the Idaho 7/Mosaic IPA as well, should be ready to tap later today, good thing too since the pipeline is dangerously low. Still managing to keep the Holiday Ale from last year out of the lineup, I want that to age until fall. Husband obliged by bringing home a 30-pack of Rolling Rock (yes very cheap beer but I love it) to bridge the gap; first commercial beer (other than a few random six-packs of craft to try) that's been in the fridge for several months.

Mashed in on another batch of lager this morning; that stuff disappears like nobodys business around here. Force carbing the Idaho 7/Mosaic IPA as well, should be ready to tap later today, good thing too since the pipeline is dangerously low. Still managing to keep the Holiday Ale from last year out of the lineup, I want that to age until fall. Husband obliged by bringing home a 30-pack of Rolling Rock (yes very cheap beer but I love it) to bridge the gap; first commercial beer (other than a few random six-packs of craft to try) that's been in the fridge for several months.
I bought some Old Latrobe this week for that very same reason

Brewed a Blonde today. Now to clean up my mess. Brew dog is refusing to help as usual. Did have a few homebrews too just because. We did have a great time hanging out in the brew/man cave today.
82E160C7-2DE8-4433-8C9D-F44D35FA4900.jpeg
C0D0A28E-C5BB-493C-9985-842D4D9D11C8.jpeg
3393495D-CA24-4566-A9D6-0AD2ADE23B58.jpeg
E34F336C-090E-4F76-9746-9E59E50189D3.jpeg
77E80D2B-48AE-446F-BE1C-19BCBD89B649.jpeg
3125E27C-8B5F-429F-A85F-A6279AAA3AFC.jpeg

But how...how is your wort so clear coming out of the brew kettle😭

Bravo! Cool basement brewery/bar, too.

Dan

Nothing special really, after cooling the wort just stop the whirlpool and let it settle out for about 15 to 30 minutes and most most stuff will drop to the bottom of the kettle.

Just put an American stout to bed after pitching yeast. OG was a bit low at 1.062 but I think it will end up a bit drier than anticipated.

Here we have krausen at just under 14 hours from pitching! Used rehydrated us-05 and this is the best response I've ever had with dry yeast

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_122041_01.jpg
    IMG_20210411_122041_01.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 10
Knocked out the Fantastic Haze without much ado.
Cooked up, gassed up, hooked up and ready to rock...

fantastic_haze2_13apr2021_01.jpg

This will be the first outing for my "FermCam" :D

fantastic_haze2_13apr2021_02.jpg

That's an ESP32-CAM board with the application that actually works! Even the LED "flash" light works!
Resolution isn't going to knock anyone's socks off but for $7 plus some stuff from my parts stash this could save me some observational trips to check whether there's a krausen problem...

FermCam!.jpg

Meanwhile this 1318 starter is looking nearly done. I'll let it run the full 24 so it'll go in the fridge around 10 tonite, and hopefully will use this week...

1318_done.jpg

Cheers! (time for a beer! :mug: )

Aliexpress another one? Or a handful? :D

They are so cheap - but tbh until the "demonstration" software package was fixed by a random user (bless whomever that was :)) they were barely useful. Now - as uber cheap low res observation platforms - they could find their way into all kinds of usage models.

I have four of the wee beasties and use a pair of them as "NestCams" to observe the bird nests under our deck ("Real Life, Up Close" :)). And I am planning on using one to "see" the "% full" dial gauge on the 330 gallon buried propane tank at our cabin up in the mountains (the gauge is under a pivoting steel "conning tower" and being able to check the tank from 200 miles away would be a huge benefit!)

Cheers!

Yes and during the lockdown being sent a message and a video of a rat approaching the trap and possibility of the coup de gras it was the only live sport.
Now there is a bit more choice.
Will have to add to my aliexpress order.

My 12th Julius batch is done and done! Nailed all the metrics except time - burners emptied the cylinder and I didn't notice for almost a half hour. Duh.
All pumped full of O2 and hooked up to purge the two kegs it'll end up in...

julius12_15apr2021.jpg

We are having our load center upgraded to 200A next Wednesday, which should be just enough time to get both of these batches to a stable SG so they can ride through the most-of-the-day loss of power without anything untoward happening. It was scheduled for Monday but blessedly got pushed back two days :)

Cheers!

I'll be brewing a Pale Ale this weekend with Citra and Huell Melon, and fermenting with Omega Sundew. I just got my starter spinning now and will be overbuilding it so I can harvest and save some of the yeast. This will be my first brew on my 15 gallon kettle (BIAB) after having done around 40 batches on my 10 gallon kettle. Mainly a "break-in" run on the new kettle to verify my equipment profile in Brewfather.

so you can see your fermentation...but i gotta ask, if you are going to a birthday somewhere, can you adjust things if you see it going off the rails?!? :)

If that was aimed at me, the answer is "Yes - depending".

I have full cool/heat temperature control of each of my three fridges, accessible anywhere with an interwebs connection. I've exploited that ability for ramping when I was away from home, and there were a couple of fermentations this fall that I had the wife check on and adjusted the temperatures based on her observation (note I'm talking "tweaks" of a degree F).

So, if I see krausen rising up into the neck of a carboy I can drop the temperature and see if there's a response.
This is getting close :)

1618614191572.png

Cheers!

Almost recovered from the mild case of 'rona I caught this week, so planning a brewday tomorrow, if I feel up to it. Fever is almost completely down this morning, just have some post-nasal issues and a bit weak in the knees. Later today I'll get the grain milled; it goes in a sealed bucket so if I decide against brewing tomorrow it won't be hurt. Also have to send the husband out for propane since I'm on lockdown here until at least Wednesday; gotta love having enough grain and hops on hand to brew whatever I need to. The only heavy lifting my system requires is pulling up the grain bag from the tun when it's time to drain, since my usual grain bill for this recipe is only 12lbs I can handle that.

Brewed a 5 gal batch of a Pale Ale with Amarillo today. This one checked a few boxes for me.
  • I purchased the Amarillo about 2 years ago and it has been sealed up in my freezer so I used up half that 8 oz pack.
  • I recently picked up some malts from Murphy & Rude in Charlottesville Virginia. This batch is 93% Pale and 7% Crystal 40 (both from Murphy & Rude). I have a Saison fermenting made with Pils, Rye and Biscuit from them.
  • I have been wanting to try out more dry yeast and just try yeasts other than American/Chico for my Pale Ales and IPAs. I split this one with half US-05 and half S-33.
I almost always have dry hopped my Pale Ales with 1 or 2 oz of hops. The last Pale Ale I made I fermented in a keg. Since I have not figured out a good way to dry hop in a keg I just moved the 2 oz of dry hops to a hop stand at 170F. I really liked the hop character in that beer so I did the same strategy here. 18 IBUs of Columbus at 30 min, 1 oz of Amarillo at 10 min, 1 oz of Amarillo at flameout, and 2 oz Amarillo for 20 minutes at 170F (no dry hop planned). I am sure the beers look much darker in this pic than they will in the glass.

IMG_3121.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back