So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitched the yeast in a porter and put it away in my FC late afternoon yesterday. This morning there were a little bubbling in the airlock and a krauzen beginning to form. Hopefully it will be tasty. And I hit my target OG right on point.

Last edited:
Not the weekend but brewing at the city house. 2.5 gal BIAB of my Bullwinkle Brown.

Sixty degrees in MT in February is almost unheard of but that’s what we have today. Still need to wrap the kettle with something during the mash. One of my wife’s Halloween decorations somehow seemed an appropriate addition.
89FC2069-C908-4E01-831E-A0DEE5244F16.jpeg

Planning on brewing a light IPA, with Simcoe, Lemondrop, and Mosaic.

I think the packet of yeast I pulled out of the fridge for the starter is dead though. Use by 12/4/20. Proper Starter can is fresh though.

I have another.

If it doesn't perk up, off to the LHBS!

Planning on a Belgian ale with wlp530, pilsner, saaz and some plain old sugar this weekend. My second favorite recipe to brew aside from my hefeweizen.

I got my hands on some Lotus hops so I am going to make a SMASH to learn about them as they sound pretty interesting

Lotus™ is the latest experimental hop variety developed under the Hopsteiner breeding program to now be available to homebrewers. This tenacious hop outperformed thousands of brothers and sisters born of the initial cross breeding and survived a decade long journey to become the hottest addition to Hopsteiner's unique portfolio of exciting new hop varieties. Lotus™ displays exceptional aromatic characteristics, boasting waves of orange and vanilla followed by notes of candied grape and tropical fruit aromas.

Lotus’s genetic origin stems from Eastern Gold, a Japanese hop variety dating back to the 1930s, followed by a mix of Apollo, Cascade, and a USDA male. The USDA male was bred from an open pollinated seedling of a wild American hop developed at Wye College, England. The cross from the USDA male with Neomexicanus heritage adds an additional layer of complexity and uniqueness to this variety.

Brewing a pale ale on Saturday.

74.4% 2 Row

22.1% Munich

3.5% Wheat

Cascade @ 60 min, Simcoe and Mosaic whirlpool and dry hopping.

S-05 yeast.

Aiming for OG: 10.54 FG: 10.10

I'm going to name this one March Sadness as this beer should be ready by early March and my Blue Devils are not dancin' this year, if you know what I mean.

Brewing a pale ale on Saturday.

74.4% 2 Row

22.1% Munich

3.5% Wheat

Cascade @ 60 min, Simcoe and Mosaic whirlpool and dry hopping.

S-05 yeast.

Aiming for OG: 10.54 FG: 10.10

I'm going to name this one March Sadness as this beer should be ready by early March and my Blue Devils are not dancin' this year, if you know what I mean.

**1.054 and 1.010 ;)

Brewed a Mosaic/Crystal IPA this morning to inaugurate the new pump. It worked just great, old one did okay but was just too slow and didn't want to start on occasion. Seven hours post-pitch a nice krausen is forming. Only hitch in the brewday was spraying hot water all over the garage when a connector popped off, all dry now.

I brewed a hoppy West Coast pale ale with Amarillo and Centennial today. First time utilizing only hop bursting, fingers crossed

Brewed a pale ale yesterday.

Tried a 20 minute hopstand and had a few issues. Tried to stay at 165 degrees, but was more in the 140-145 range. I did a small 60 and 5 minute addition, so I'm sure it will be fine. I plan on dry hopping the same amount as the hopstand. Fingers crossed it will be tasty.

PXL_20210207_174501624.jpg

Insulating my mash tun and installing a guard on some exposed plumbing, then going to do a water-only first run on my new brew system tonight. Been WIP for over a year.
Hoping to brew a pale ale sometime this week!

Heating up the strike for an El Dorado semi-SMaSH today. Snow started falling sometime after midnight, supposed to keep going until 4pm today, I'm all kinds of excited. 53 years old and snow still brings out the kid in me. Probably because I've spent the last 44 years of my life in a state where snow only shows up maybe once every two years, and when it does....snowmageddon! Plenty of wood for the woodstove, pantry is well-stocked, and enough beer to last for quite a while. Sigh. I know it's a PITA but damn it's pretty.

I brewed Murica Blonde Ale recipe by Braufessor yesterday evening. Looking forward to it since it is so simple and clean. Had to sub Hallertauer hops for the Liberty but otherwise stuck to the recipe. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out in a couple weeks.

Knocked out another batch of my Juicy Bits clone. Went fairly smoothly, picked up two OG points at a dead-nuts 11 gallons to the carboys which doesn't suck :)

Carboys gassed up and ready to rock, while a batch of Julius simmers under the last round of dry hops...

juicy_bits_7_13feb2021_01.jpg

Kegs hooked up and ready for purging...

juicy_bits_7_13feb2021_02.jpg

Another successful outing for my Hopstopper V2 implementation. I'm definitely not sending it back :)

juicy_bits_7_13feb2021_03.jpg

Cheers!

Brewing a maibock Friday and a Belgian Blonde the following week. Getting back into Belgians and Saisons after a 3 year pause. From right to left, kettle sour (cherry), Doppelbock, imperial stout brewed 12/25/20 and imperial brown brewed 6/25/20.
9D4B47D1-659A-441F-8E1A-370676DE289C.jpeg

Gonna do a pseudo lager with lutra and use just pilsner, carapils an some flaked rice. Hopefully itl turn out good so I can make a mexican lager next.

If I can get the garage cleaned out tonight of all the cardboard boxes that we seem to have accumulated over the last couple weeks, I'll brew up another version of the house lager tomorrow; straight pilsner base with Crystal hops for bittering and late additions. Makes for a tasty light lager. Need something to take my mind off work, just-entered competition, and other family issues.

Just added the steeping grains for a full Centennial IPA - Bell's Two Hearted Inspired. I've been going back and forth on dry hopping with just Centennial or Centennial + a little Citra. I guess I don't have to decide for a while

Just added the steeping grains for a full Centennial IPA - Bell's Two Hearted Inspired. I've been going back and forth on dry hopping with just Centennial or Centennial + a little Citra. I guess I don't have to decide for a while

Hit the starting gravity on the nose, 1.066. Pitched an Imperial Flagship A07 starter, time to ferment.

IMG_5446.JPG

Back