So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a chocolate oatmeal stout yesterday. Used lager yeast, fermenting under pressure. Using yeast cake from previous batch. Used all home made malt. Made chocolate malt, caramel malt too. All speciality malts were cold steeped and then added to the boil. Here goes:

Last edited:
Did not get my Barke Munich shipment in time to brew this past long weekend, but will be whipping up a Marzen this Friday...yep, a little late for Oktoberfest. :)

If FedEx can manage a delivery on time for once, I should get my Old Rasputin clone kit in today. If it does will make starter with some slurry today and brew this weekend.

I'm brewing the second iteration of a saison I'm working on. I'm varying the recipes as I go, but reusing the yeast, which is a blend of Wy3724 and Belle Saison. Sort of my own cobbled together version of Saisonstein's Monster. I'll probably make 3 or 4 batches and let them age for at least a couple months. The best saison I've made was amazing at 5 months when I drank the last bottle. I'll be keg conditioning these.

Just brewed a rustic table saison, I think it will finish around 4'3% or so, it's been my first step mash as I now have a bigger mash tun that allows me to heat small mashes pretty fast, I thought it would be way more work, let's see what I'm left with once the fermentation is done

Here's a picture of the mash

IMG_20201017_101449.jpg

Was supposed to brew an imperial stout this weekend. Got bored last night and spur of the moment decided to brew it right there and then.

Not brewing but racked my first kettle sour onto 2.5 pounds of raspberries. Still debating adding hibiscus at kegging🤔

In the middle of a step mash right now on a pumpkin ale that I make every year for Thanksgiving, by request from my family! Beautiful morning on the back lanai here in Florida, as it was in the 60's when I fired up the HLT early this morning. Can't wait for the temp to drop in the 70's (instead of 94 every day) which is hopefully in November. Have a great day everyone!

John

Brewed a new batch of Barney the Welder. Saved my last bottle of the previous batch to drink while I'm brewing this one.

I'm trying out Omega Hornindal kveik at 85F and see what esters it may produce rather than the US05 I usually use.
IMG_1875.JPG

Last edited:
Just mashed in batch "#103",, some kind of basic ale I guess; 15# pils, 5# Vienna. Guess I'll hop w cascade & amarillo. Probably the last batch w ale yeast for season, now things are cooling off. Probably should switch to lager today, but there is already good ale yeast cake in fermentor, and I'm feeling lazy.

I was going to brew an autumn saison with sweet potatoes in the mash but as I had everything already at home, brewed it today, looks good so far, maybe I will add squash in the fermenter or maybe not, I will see, never used it so I don't want to ruin the beer hahaha

Maybe I will make a Brett Trois Vrai starter this weekend for a 100% brett beer as I need a good thick brett slurry or maybe I do it earlier as I have everything already here too hahaha

I tried out Hornindal Kveik on my Barney the Welder brewed Saturday. Pitched Sunday morning 7:00 am at 85F. This morning Wednesday 7:00 am it is essentially done, I've noted the trub-full 1-gallon overage finishes quicker and clearer than the main batch which is still a bit cloudy. This thing smelled like a tropical fruit bowl while fermenting, will be interesting to see how the flavors work with the IPA. A real monster this Hornindal!
IMG_1903.JPG

Just milled the grain for the 2020 Holiday Ale. Got a bit crazy with it, 16lbs two row, 2lbs pilsner, 2lbs special B, about .5lb each of crystal 75 and homeroasted crystal (if I had to guess about 120) and 1lb of flaked barley. Biggest grain bill I've gone with in a long time (overfilled my homer bucket!) so going to strike with 11 gallons tomorrow and see what I get. Might do a reduction if I get enough 1st runnings, and going to hit this one with a ton of spices mulled in a 22oz bottle of capn morgans rum. Gonna mess up my family, friends, and co-workers this year, yes I am. And if it works out well, saving some for the spring competitions that I hope will happen. If nothing else gonna have fun tomorrow.

Just milled the grain for the 2020 Holiday Ale. Got a bit crazy with it, 16lbs two row, 2lbs pilsner, 2lbs special B, about .5lb each of crystal 75 and homeroasted crystal (if I had to guess about 120) and 1lb of flaked barley. Biggest grain bill I've gone with in a long time (overfilled my homer bucket!) so going to strike with 11 gallons tomorrow and see what I get. Might do a reduction if I get enough 1st runnings, and going to hit this one with a ton of spices mulled in a 22oz bottle of capn morgans rum. Gonna mess up my family, friends, and co-workers this year, yes I am. And if it works out well, saving some for the spring competitions that I hope will happen. If nothing else gonna have fun tomorrow.
My Christmas beer is a 15'6% quad this year hahahaha I think we are going all crazy with our Christmas brews in 2020 😂

Was planning to brew, woke up to pouring down rain.
I really should look into this new fangled electric brewing and move it inside

Not weekend but I started the brew day yesterday that was a bank holiday so more or less

Finished today boiling my brett imperial stout after a day acidifying, when I pitched the starter at 1 pm I saw bubbling immediately but that's weird so I thought it was something else, but by 6 pm it had a full krausen so probably was fermenting at 1 pm too haha I thought brett fermentations were slow

I'm making it with the Vrai strain, so let's see how it goes, I'm planning on stopping fermentation at 1.030 or so although it shouldn't be much more fermentable than that, at least not once I kill the brett

Got some pre-work done and will be brewing up a dunkel tomorrow morning, can't wait!

Thought for sure this thread would be blowing up considering what day it is tomorrow.

I’m not brewing either tho...but I am racking two batches to kegs tomorrow for carbonation....does that count?

Or at least that is the plan...oh...I’ll probably watch a learn to brew YouTube session that is being done by the LHBS too.

Just made a L. plantarum starter, maybe brewing tomorrow and pitching Tuesday, depending on how the starter does

Not brewing today either, since I spaced on placing the grain order this week until today. So will do a batch of IPA tomorrow, based on Bear Republic's Racer 5. Haven't done this one since 2018; for a while it was my 'bogey' beer, just couldn't get it right; either the yeast was toast, or poor fermentation temperature control, ruined a couple of batches. This time it will be darn near perfect. Treating myself to a new 7g Fermonster since one of mine got warped, and the other one still has the Holiday Ale in it that won't get packaged until next week. Fresh yeast, some slight water adjustments, and plenty of hops for it. Can't wait.

Back