So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed up a Rye Saison this afternoon. This is the third time I've brewed this recipe, but I scaled this one up a little bit since It's going into a 3rd use bourbon barrel after primary fermentation. I'll add some brettanomyces claussenii when I rack it into the barrel. I love the way the brett-c compliments this beer.

This version was hopped with Galaxy. I may or may not give it a dryhop charge before bottling.

This was the closest I've dared filling my kettle pre-boil. I was at 9 gallons before the wort hit a boil. Fortunately I added about 2mL of fermcap and it prevented any boilovers.

KPZs5CV.jpg

Up early for an ambitious double brew day; first up is a Sabro/Citra IPA, just about to mash in; once I have this one on the boil I'll mill the grain for an American Strong. Have to run for propane at some point, but should have everything buttoned up by 2pm. Was going to brew both days, but after a week's vacation I have to go into the office tomorrow to get stuff taken care of, and make brownie points with the boss.

I’d be interested to hear how that turns out. I’ve not more cascade in my freezer than I’d like And I want to brew a brown ale soon.

ESB mash Has begun

Temperature jumped up faster than expected, so ambitious double-brew day turned into "the heck with it, I'll get up super early tomorrow and brew the other one". Citra/Sabro on Loki (used a scant cup of slurry from the last one) took off running after only 2 hours, going great guns now. At least got the grain milled for tomorrow so I can truly get an early start. Oh look, beer.

Got the EBB in the fermenter and yeast pitched. Temp didn’t drop quick enough for me so I pitched slurry at 74. Under 70 now on it way to mid 60’s for the week. Smooth day overall.

Many firsts. First all grain Oktoberfest. First time going right to a 5 gallon keg to ferment. First brew using my tilt hydrometer. Day 2, so far so good. Keg sitting at 50 degrees for two more days then up the temp Daily. Only 12 more weeks to enjoy it In October. Added last dry hop to a double IPA which should be drinkable in about a week. First Double IPA. Enjoying my First American Ale on tap. Finally got the foam problems worked out. Happy Baseballs back. Go Rays.

Brewed The Cream of 3 Crops Cream ale , used real long grain rice instead minute rice which was last nights dinner . Boiled the long grain rice for 20 min then into the mash. My mash temp was at 144 but no room to add any boiling water. OG was 1.054 using Cellar Science Cali yeast , SO-5 sold out around here. Just started working after 3 hrs. First time using rice .

I think I'm going to do a kveik this week or weekend. I have a packet of the Voss strain that I'd like to trial (Lallemand dried yeast). Any pointers?

May brew up a hazy IPA. It's on the schedule, but I'm a little behind on my drinking, as the current beer on tap where it would go just got put on 10 days ago...

I might. I have some 1388 Belgian yeast in the fridge from a mead I made late last year. I'm going to try to revive it and get a starter going. If it's still alive (should be) I will brew a Belgian pale ale, about 5.5 or 6% ABV. Pilsner malt, a little Munich and sugar, and probably Tradition hops.

I think I'm going to do a kveik this week or weekend. I have a packet of the Voss strain that I'd like to trial (Lallemand dried yeast). Any pointers?

I did not know there was a dried version available! :ban: That's great; if mine gets contaminated it will be a lot easier to replace. I really like Voss, although it's pretty slow to carbonate; probably because I'm conditioning at 70-something degrees instead of 85 to 100.

I did not know there was a dried version available! :ban: That's great; if mine gets contaminated it will be a lot easier to replace. I really like Voss, although it's pretty slow to carbonate; probably because I'm conditioning at 70-something degrees instead of 85 to 100.

I only found out recently as well. We finally hit summer temps here and I just discovered that I'm almost out of beer. Perfect time to try this beast!

Kicked off 6 gallons of Vikingr Blod mead. This is my first mead and I decided to go big versus only doing a gallon.

I only found out recently as well. We finally hit summer temps here and I just discovered that I'm almost out of beer. Perfect time to try this beast!

There's a whole thread to peruse

Doing something a little different this weekend. Going to brew a berliner weisse with oak smoked wheat, and secondary on Andean mora pulp. No kettle souring, just using my sourdough starter as the yeast/lacto fermentation source.
20200730_084946.jpg

So this is my brew bucket on top of my fermentation freezer... I brewed the base IPA for a Mango addition today and this is my first use of Lallemand Kveik Voss...Pitched at 90 degrees. Brutal afternoon brew day because, well, it was 90 degrees :cool:
IMG_3157.jpg

Back