So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jr. Assistant Brewmaster helping me mix up some cleaner during the virtual Big Brew.

20200502_114217.jpg

Did this yesterday: two gallons at 1.036. 1.5 lbs Bavarian wheat dme, 1 lb oak smoked wheat malt, 4 ozs red wheat malt, .25 oz saaz at 3.2%, K-97.

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_131250.jpg
    IMG_20200501_131250.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200501_133002.jpg
    IMG_20200501_133002.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 9
Wait... Is it the weekend? I keep losing track.
Brewed 11gallons APA yesterday. Partial mash. Pils DME, 5# Vienna,Crystal 40. Magnum for bittering, Cascade and Centennial late additions. Was going to do half 04 and half 05 but didn't like the smell of the 05 slurry. Ended up using 34/70.

Drink them FAST when they're done. My buddy that I brewed this for found a couple in his fridge this last weekend, and told me they were beyond HOT after sitting a few months, but still tasty (to him, I hate them). I still have a few myself, and the husband (who also likes hot beers) won't touch them after what our friend said.
Use them for some chili batches!

Currently have 12 gallons of a blonde ale boiling, going to split into 2 fermenters, an english ale yeast, and a Belgian ale yeast.

Hopped with Amarillo and Jarrylo, going to be perfect for hot weather and BBQs.

Attachments

• 15885487061135706870268613607020.jpg
    15885487061135706870268613607020.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Starting the brew today. For whatever reason, my brewing efficiency has been pretty low lately (55-60%). I brew BIAB and it used to run in the low 70’s. I can compensate, but a bit frustrating as nothing has changed. Anyhoo...premash and preboil of Pliny the Younger.
E2308D4C-39B6-43B4-835F-43C73390BFEA.jpeg
318B5F97-EC30-4B9B-8C8B-CA4C6056B4C4.jpeg

Starting the brew today. For whatever reason, my brewing efficiency has been pretty low lately (55-60%). I brew BIAB and it used to run in the low 70’s. I can compensate, but a bit frustrating as nothing has changed. Anyhoo...premash and preboil of Pliny the Younger.
View attachment 678777View attachment 678778
When is the last time you checked the gap on your mill? Same grains, perhaps from storage? You might also consider conditioning your grains before crushing, as I saw a bit of a boost (5%) from doing that. Just leave a pound aside to run through the mill at the end to clean out the knurling.

That’s a good suggestion. I use the LHBS mill - will try a double crush next time. Hadn’t heard of conditioning before.

Drink them FAST when they're done. My buddy that I brewed this for found a couple in his fridge this last weekend, and told me they were beyond HOT after sitting a few months, but still tasty (to him, I hate them). I still have a few myself, and the husband (who also likes hot beers) won't touch them after what our friend said.
I just added the jalapeños today and will probably bottle either Tuesday or Thursday. I haven’t had them continue to get hotter after bottling, but since I really enjoy pepper beers, they don’t sit around for several months.
Hope I didn’t just jinx myself!

Finally snapping the 18 month streak of not brewing! Boil just started for my version of Other Half’s All Together IPA. It’s a 3.5 gallon batch instead of my usual 10 gallon, but it’s better than no brewing at all.
Coincidentally, it's been about 18 months since I last brewed, and I normally make a double batch size too.
The weather is starting to cool in Australia, giving me pause to think about some darker, maltier beers.

This weekend, I undertake to clean my mash tun and manifold to brew a malty English session ale with Maris Otter,medium crystal and W1469 yeast, about US 6 gallon size.
Also thinking about a Maibock (using Wyeast Munich lager II yeast) and weizen (and maybe a Dämpfbier) with W 3638 and double batch of Australian Dark session ale (Tooheys Old clone).

I'll get back to you with the outcomes.

Right now I am whirl-pooling Sabro hops in a "Creamsicle New England Pale Ale" recipe that I got from Kal's site "The Electric Brewery". I am excited to try this new hop variety as it throws tangerine, coconut, tropical fruit, stone fruit and creaminess. This one hop is reportedly that good that it can stand alone in a N.E. Pale Ale. It uses 1 pound of hops (for a 10 gallons finished product batch) in multiple additions (mostly late) and two dry hop additions. Can't wait to try it when it's done!

John

Last edited:
Today's brew: an American brown ale.

I'm shooting for something like Shed's Mountain Ale, one of my favourite local beers. I only know ABV and IBUs for that though (and what it tastes like, but I don't have the palate/knowledge to take advantage of that) so I've tweaked recipes from here for the right style to hit those numbers. I'm sure it won't be that close, but if I get a good beer that's vaguely similar I'll be very happy.

Last edited:
brewed an experimental wheat beer....thanks for reminding me to post it in "how many gallons"!

it's already 9 and this is even a census year so i need to be counted!

Hello fellow brewers. I made an all wheat beer with Ekuanot hops & a mango. The wheat was malted at home & I had run out of all my malts. Here goes:
Batch size: 21 Litres
Wheat malt: 4 KG
Jaggery powder(Gur/Gud): 1/2 KG. The powder smells very sweet & nice. It is rich in nutrients as well. So I thought it'll make a nice addition. The smell reminded of an overripe mango, so I decided to add an overripe mango too in hop bag.
Hops: 2 Oz Ekuanot
Yeast: US05
IMG_0870.jpg
IMG_1143.jpg

you take the crap i make to a whole new level....i especially like the fire extinguisher....how did you sparge whole wheat malt? i just got away with 33%, but i'd wonder about 100%?

you take the crap i make to a whole new level....i especially like the fire extinguisher....how did you sparge whole wheat malt? i just got away with 33%, but i'd wonder about 100%?
Hello, I use a water pump bought from aliexpress. The pump does the job quite well. I use BIAB method for it & have SS grain mesh basket. I have been using a lot of wheat of late, especially the sweet varieties and it's easy to work with them - head retention is very good and green malts (freshly malted & not kilned but sun dried) gives fruity aroma.

I've had no problems BIAB with 100% wheat malt in the bag. It works fine. ( I've never done a 100% wheat beer. In these instances I've done a partial mash with pilsner DME.)

Speaking of wheat, looking to do a wheatwine this weekend. My first one, so keeping it simple, and going to age until fall.

Brewed a porter today myself. Although mine was only a single gallon!

Kinda strange for me to brew on a weekend, but it was a miserable day outside and my wife was completely zoned into her cross stitch project, so I figured why the hell not?!?

Just finished up brewing another blonde ale. The one from a few weeks ago turned out really good, but I decided to experiment with a different hop schedule to see if I could dial it in even more.
Big shout out to my amazing wife too. She doesn't even like beer usually, but has discovered she likes brewing with me, and has been a huge help. I never thought this was a hobby that would become a family affair. Definitely not complaining.

Just finished up brewing another blonde ale. The one from a few weeks ago turned out really good, but I decided to experiment with a different hop schedule to see if I could dial it in even more.
Big shout out to my amazing wife too. She doesn't even like beer usually, but has discovered she likes brewing with me, and has been a huge help. I never thought this was a hobby that would become a family affair. Definitely not complaining.
Addendum: My wife and I were both congratulating ourselves on how smooth this brew went and how much faster we are getting, so keep your eye on the "post your infection" thread for an update in a few days.;)

Brewed a porter today myself. Although mine was only a single gallon!

Kinda strange for me to brew on a weekend, but it was a miserable day outside and my wife was completely zoned into her cross stitch project, so I figured why the hell not?!?

I brewed a one gallon batch a few days ago of a Octoberfest kinda beer. First time for me doing that.

Right now I am whirl-pooling Sabro hops in a "Creamsicle New England Pale Ale" recipe that I got from Kal's site "The Electric Brewery". I am excited to try this new hop variety as it throws tangerine, coconut, tropical fruit, stone fruit and creaminess. This one hop is reportedly that good that it can stand alone in a N.E. Pale Ale. It uses 1 pound of hops (for a 10 gallons finished product batch) in multiple additions (mostly late) and two dry hop additions. Can't wait to try it when it's done!

John
You are going to fall in love with Sabro. I've used it a couple of times now, both times coupled with Citra, and the pineapple comes out strong; the coconut is elusive, you don't always taste/smell it, but when you do it's a lovely surprise. I've got some in my glass right now, and the coconut just comes up from behind and taps you on the shoulder. It's lovely.

Ferment fridge is back online, so tomorrow brewing up the House Amurcan Strong that I can do pretty well. So looking forward to being able to ferment at a steady 66 again!! Oh crap just looked at the time, it's already tomorrow. I need to go to bed.

I was going to brew today but I ordered a stir plate and a borosilicate flask instead. Supposed to be here next Friday.
So next Saturday I guess I’ll be saying “Yes, I’ll be brewing today!”.

Back