So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strong wind warning today... so its Porter on the stove top instead of the gas burner outside.

Attachments

• Porter.jpg
    Porter.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
Not brewing this weekend, but the blonde ale brewed 2 weeks ago looks ready to bottle (I think I'll give it a few more days just to make sure) It started out at 1.056, and after one week in the ale pail in my basement (about 65 degrees) I racked it to a carboy and warmed it up to 72. I took the jacket off today and it looks nice and clear. A couple more days in the upper 60's won't hurt.

I have 4 gallons of cider that I'll bottle tomorrow. And the Voss Kveik yeast that I ordered got here today so I might be brewing next weekend -- I really like the idea of pitching at 90 degrees and fermenting with no temperature controls.

Last edited:
All set to brew Da Yoopers House Pale Ale tomorrow. Just noticed that my thermometer is measuring about 7 degrees too cold, so I may need to pick up a new one in the morning.

Just put a batch of Bastard kinda-almost-not-quite-clone to bed. Trying for something not so rocket-fuelish this time, SG was 1.059. Life got in the way of my last two batches and they tanked due to unseasonal heat in the PNW, so need this one to straighten up and fly right. Still loving my new plate chiller, even with warmer than usual ground water it went into the fermenter at 75. Sitting in a swamp cooler now waiting for the Notty to do its thang. Enjoying a Fort George City of Dreams APA to celebrate a pretty nice brew day.

Gonna have a lot of beer soon

Attachments

• 772DEC83-A70A-4019-A85B-D909E431EB0C.jpeg
    772DEC83-A70A-4019-A85B-D909E431EB0C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 85
1st lager keg is about to kick, and just tapped the 2nd. So brewing up another one today. 12lbs of two row, and this one will be bittered with 1oz Warrior, then get some Columbus and Amarillo as late additions for some hoppiness. Yeah I know it's a lager and the hops might fade, but we'll see what happens. Also that's all I've got for hops.

Was going to do a pale ale with 1 oz of Target for bittering then 5 Oz of Mosaic as late additions/dry hops, but they raised the price of Mosaic and, whaddya know, they put half pound bags of Simcoe on sale, so I’m brewing this one with 8 Oz of Simcoe.

Probably brewing a porter in the comming weekend if my knee isn't too bad although i may just take pain killers and brew anyway even if its annoyed and take the chance it doesn't settle down again for next week.

My kegerator needs another nice sessionable beer in the next few weeks as I'm expecting visitors so I guess a good reason to brew.

The fermentation chamber is empty.
I have all the grains and hops in stock and the recipe is sorted in beersmith so its just a matter of brewing it. Probably be a 10L / 2.5g batch for a small keg. Not an efficient use of time but i want a variety of brews without being seriously overstocked and carrying 10L is less likley to agrevate my knee.

Have stuff on hand to brew the following:

Cream Ale
Blonde Ale
Oatmeal Stout
IPA
ESB

Aiming to do one Saturday, and one Monday. We'll see if that actually happens.
Wound up doing Cream Ale on Saturday, and the ESB on Sunday.

Brewed a Kolsch, mixed it up a little with some Sorachi Ace and Nelson Sauvin. Lackadaisical brew day still took under 4 hrs start to finish...I love eBIAB! Unfortunately the LHBS was closed so need to grab yeast tomorrow.

Going to do a Octoberfest and an Amber ale. Any advice on them is welcome!!

Amber Victory OG:1.050, FG:1.010, ABV 5.25%, IBU 28, SRM 16
Pale Ale - 31.7%
Golden Promise - 31.2%
Crystal 80L - 17.6%
Victory - 19.5%
Magnum - 0.5oz @ 60min
Amarillo - 0.25oz @20 min
Cascade - 1 oz dry hop @ 7 days
Yeast = GigaYeast Norcal #1

ViennaFest OG 1.055, FG 1.013, ABV 5.4%, IBU 25, SRM 12
Vienna - 54.5%
Munich Light - 27.3%
Crystal 60L - 9.1%
Carahell - 9.1%
Perle - 0.6oz @ 60min
Hallerau Mittelfruh - 0.5oz @ 15min and at flame out
Yeast - Imperial L13 Global

just punched up a basic recipe to try my hand at a summer saison. Having a beer style that lends itself well to letting the yeast ramp up is perfect for summer hoping I can keep the yeast I use (belle Saision) for the rest of the summer.

Going to bottle Kentucky Common "kiss ye cousin" (extract).

If time permits, going to brew my house Dunkel (extract).

Now that the biab bag is complete, next time will be doing all grain :).

Going to do a simple kolsch (pils, sauermalz, hallertau, 2565 or wlp029 149° 90min boil) need to do more research to be specific

My club (Oregon Brew Crew) is hosting a campout this weekend and we'll be brewing a mock Steinbier (stone beer)!

We'll be heating stones over the fire and adding them to the kettle to achieve boil. Extract with steeping grains this time to simplify the process and reduce the necessary number of rocks. One of our members has been experimenting with the process at home as explosions are possible if the proper care isn't taken. One thing that helps is to ensure that all stones are DRY and not reused when heated. It's the expansion of steam that can blow them apart if heated too quickly.

Photos to come!

Yep, brewing my first porter.
My knee was real bad this week so took today (friday) off work to let the inflamation settle.

I found my spare quick connect hose joiner so took my 3 filter water filter ( 1micron sedement + granulated carbon + compressed carbon) out to my deck and put it on the end of my food grade hose after running thr hose first to get rid of any sitting water. The hose may be food grade for drinking water but any water left in it picks up plastic flavours.
Its now slowly filling the HLT.

I use to leave the filter inside by my kitchen tap and fill buckets and carry them out but with a painful knee that wasn't happening this time and always had the risk of a bucket overflow due to distraction.

I realised i can use the return port from the pump at the top of the hlt as an overflow so i can just leave it to fill slowly for the best chlorine extraction although it does well at higher flow rates i would rather run it slow and be 100 % sure. The temporary overflow has a pipe running off my deck.

Just doing a 10L batch so I don't have to move 23L while my knee is bad.
The weather probably isn't helping the arthritus in it either.

Not sure if saturday or sunday brew day. Just depends how my knee feels although only a single hop addition so a nice simple brew with 60 minute mash and boil.
Not much monitoring needed apart from keeping an eye on the fly sparge and comming to the boil although a 10L batch in a 50L BK should be reasonably safe.

I guess i could have just filled it fast then set the pump to recirculate through the filter for the ultimate level of chlorine removal but never had an issue with a slow single pass.

Brewing up 2 identical beers except for using citra/mosaic in both with a third hop being different in each. I have a few options in the freezer and figure it’ll come to me when I get to that point! Trying something a little different with my water... we’ll see it if gets rid of the strange off flavor I had in my last batch. Only thing I could narrow it down to. Beautiful brew day!

Going to pull the trigger on a Belgian golden strong ale. I have no big ale to bulk age. An empty carboy calls out to be used! Also have to bottle my steam beer tomorrow but need more bottles so I better get to drinking!

Thinking about making a Cider with the wife this weekend. The beer pipeline is nearly filled up after the last couple of marathon weekends.

Brewing up 2 identical beers except for using citra/mosaic in both with a third hop being different in each. I have a few options in the freezer and figure it’ll come to me when I get to that point! Trying something a little different with my water... we’ll see it if gets rid of the strange off flavor I had in my last batch. Only thing I could narrow it down to. Beautiful brew day!
Our next brew after this we will do 10 gallons, maybe some Centennial and Amarillo in the boil. Then hop in each 5 gal fermenter with a couple of different hops. Maybe Sterling in one, Citra in the other. Still deciding here too! We finally got our water analyzed, so less guesswork on that, hoping to take it to the next level.

Trying to brew something new this weekend a citrus chocolate wheat IPA. Its either going to be glorious or a big ole mess. :)
Already think 4 0z of heresy cacao powder was too much but we shall see.

Finially decided to do my planned brew. my knee was too bad yesterday and has settled a bit overnight and through the morning so this is an afternoon brew.

Rain outside but dry on my covered deck and 11 degC / 51.8f.
Dry enough for the eHERMs om the deck ( positioned to avoid leaks) and just in case its all wired up to a RCD / GFCI
I don't mind brewing on cool damp days, it makes the clouds of steam more impressive LOL.

Just warming up the strike water in the HLT and warming up some PBW in the BK to run through the wort pump and plate chiller so currently pulling an average of about 30A at 230V. The chiller and pump had a hot water rinse last time but I decided that some PBW was due so the clean during the mash etc.

The recipe is a English porter, based on someones clone of Speights old dark with a few tweaks and changes for the malt I have in my spare room.

It willl be the first porter I brew and its based off a beer my dad likes.

All grain Brew day over. 19L into the fermentor. I was going to do 10L so easier on my knee yo get to the fermentation chamber but i forgot and got the default 19L/5g batch.
Apeights old dark clone made with gladfields malts. The sample tasted ok for a pre-fermentation sample.

I managed to cool the wort slightly more than my intended fermentation temp but still ok for us05. The the heat pad will taise it the 2 degC to my target easy enough.

Finishing up the evening with a glass of my Belgium Tripel 9.5% while resting my knee in my spa bath. Nice hot water after a cool evening finishing up the brew day.

Nice clouds of steam brewing in about 10C ambiant temperature

20180527_154649.jpg
20180527_154754.jpg
20180527_172751.jpg

20180527_172747.jpg
20180527_172740.jpg

And the steaming boil against a dark background.

The belgium tripel tastes great but needs more time to fully carbonate. This is the result from a fairly aggressive pour. There is definitly some carbonation in the beer.
20180527_191139.jpg

Pretty clear too
20180527_194337.jpg

Last edited:
Bestmalz red-x
Trying this grain, going after the elusive red ale.
I've made several before which tasted great, but always a brown or copper color. In search of a stunning red.

Back