So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally get to brew my Dampfbier this weekend. I am having trouble with the yeast starter so I cold crashed it, decanted the flask, and added some more wort in an effort to wake it up and make babies. (Fingers crossed) If that fails I am abandoning the Weizen yeast and going with S-05 as a plan B. It won't be Dampfbier if that happens but a nice ale instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewed what I thought was my 50th batch today. To celebrate my beer drinking roots, I made a batch of ..... Rolling Rock. To do so, I had to modify my process to brew with the lid on (to keep that awesome DMS in the pot). Currently in my basement already starting to go using Cry Havoc (WLP862) yeast (I wanted to use a yeast that would handle the high end of the lager range as my basement floor is currently at 58.5 degrees).

I'm not the best at keeping an organized brew log, when I looked deeper I realize that this might be batch 51 or even more as I brewed some in the early 90's. But, what the hey, I'll still celebrate it as my 50th batch! :)

Thinking the one gallon of rum runner stout tomorrow am if I can get an early start...

Just Mashed in a Strong Scotch Ale, going to partygyle it.

If my first runnings are a 10 gal batch OG 1.070 and I'm going to partygyle a 5 gal batch off of it, would it be a good idea to add a pound or two of grain when mashing the second runnings ? to get decent efficiency ?

Cheers :mug:

3 more minutes til mash out...

1402758652522.jpg

Brewing Fuzzymuttenbrewing's Hi Nelson! Saison. First saison.
Don't giggle at my ghetto setup (the chair). I needed something lower than my table for BIAB. Figured that out the hard way last time. Soon I'll craft a perfect height table so I can brew without using my kitchen chair.
image.jpg

Not sure what to brew. Tomorrow monring it will be a low abv brew, a buffalo sweat clone or a pale ale. which should i do?

It's summer...go pale ale or a Wit. How about a Citrus Wheat or something like Squeeze my Lemon Blonde?

For the Citrus Wheat, you can use the original blue moon recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/#post671567 and just add1/2 ounce Citra @ 5 minutes and 1/2 ounce at flame out.
For the Squeeze my Lemon Blonde:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/squeeze-my-lemon-summer-blonde-52886/

Now your turn. Should my next IPA be:
1. Green Flash West Coast IPA
2. Flower Power
3. Something else?

Got an early start this morning (5am) brewed EdWort's Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale, I substituted Maris Otter for the 2-Row Pale Malt, the Nottingham had hardly any lag time, I hydrated & pitched it at 9:30 am, at 12:30 pm the airlock was burping away!
This is the second time I've brewed this recipe, everyone enjoys it, looks like I'll be keeping this in stock!

A RIS with a partigyle, the stout will eventually oaked and vanilla,:rockin:

Me too. I borrowed a friend' mash tun and did a double batch of imperial stout with a 6 gallon partigyle of a small stout. Used 48 pounds of grain and 4 pounds of sugar (for the imperial). Ended up with 14 gallons of 1.096 imperial stout and 6 gallons of 1.040 small stout. May make it a milk stout - I'll taste in a couple of weeks to decide. Going to put 3 gallons of the imperial into a used bourbon barrel I bought and make 5 gallons an expresso imperial and bottle the rest as a regular imperial. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402776312.064628.jpg. Pic of the mash.

Just waiting for things to start boiling right now. Trying my hand at a "make it up based on what I've got in inventory" Barleywine. Then promptly threw the guidelines out the window and added enough black patent to make it double what the book recommends for colour. Wort is pretty sweet and sticky, dark brown, and a slight coffee flavour. Currently sitting at 1.080, hoping to boil down to 1.100. According to online calculators, I should get 80 IBUs. Planning on waxing the caps and leaving it at least 6 months in the closet. Hope I can wait that long.

Come morning, I'll get around to a parti-gyle. Seems an "English Standard Bitter" will be the end result, perhaps slightly darker than recommended.

It's summer...go pale ale or a Wit. How about a Citrus Wheat or something like Squeeze my Lemon Blonde?

For the Citrus Wheat, you can use the original blue moon recipe here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blue-moon-clone-65328/#post671567 and just add1/2 ounce Citra @ 5 minutes and 1/2 ounce at flame out.
For the Squeeze my Lemon Blonde:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/squeeze-my-lemon-summer-blonde-52886/

Now your turn. Should my next IPA be:
1. Green Flash West Coast IPA
2. Flower Power
3. Something else?

Ended up making the Pale Ale (Lake Walk recipe from on here Simcoe and Amarillo). Good brew day though on Saturday, aside from the slight Apfelwein hangover that would not go away.

Hmmm... Howsabout Flower Power.

For once the wife and I are "taking it easy" this weekend; that means I get to bottle a batch of wine, make a batch of cider, and finish the keezer.

Not this weekend. Well, we'll see. I'm hoping maybe some night after work this week. The ferm chamber is empty. I *really* want to try lagers again, but I have not pilsner malt. Tasted some EXCELLENT lagers during NHC and I am ready to throw my hat back in the ring. Problem is I only have 1 ferm chamber and I can't tie it up with a lager for weeks and weeks.

If we weren't expecting half a hog in the near future, I'd repurpose my small chest freezer into a lagering chamber.

My BIL is coming for a visit in July and asked if I could do a hefeweizen, so that's on deck for this weekend.

This is my first hefeweizen, so I'm doing Jamil Z's recipe. Looks like a good one not only because of its simplicity, but also because he gives good directions about the pitch rate and fermentation temperature. So 3068 in a 1.3 L starter, and ferment at 62.

Just put the new mods on the RIMS and now we wait... 1st thing Saturday morning it's going dowwwwn!

1403059262734.jpg

I'm thinking about a SMaSH IPA. 2-Row and Cascade. Maybe a 60 min addition and then every 15 min after that of about an ounce. Dry hop with 2-3 ounces and then let it ferment out as dry as possible using the SA-05 dry yeast.

Making a Christmas stout on Saturday. OG around 1.080, 4-5 weeks in primary with some vanilla beans added somewhere in that time and then in bottles until December.

I am going to brew this weekend. Thinking of doing both a rye stout and a rum runner stout. Been a crazy week with both kids in soccer camp and lots of running around. I need the downtime.

Yesterday I picked up the ingredients for a batch of Edwort's Haus Pale Ale.

Wife is on night shift tomorrow so it's time for another night owl brew session. I'll mash BIAB style and then do a two pot boil on my electric stove top in the kitchen. I've been liking the beer I make using this process and it allows me to do full 5 gallon batches but I think it adds atleast one hour to the process over making 3 gallon batches in a single pot.

On the heals of my first NHC and getting inspiration from Mike Tonsmeire's talk on the influence the mash has on sour beers, I'm diving head first into the world of mixed fermentation / sour beers. My plan so far is to brew 7 gallons of wort and ferment one half with Wyeast 3763 (Roeselare) and the other half with WLP002. After the clean beer hits terminal I'll send some Brett Brux after it. Then depending on how they mature after a few months I may add some bottle dregs to give them a boost.

Back