So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's actually Monday now, but I'll be making a basic American Wheat with either US-05 harvested about a month ago from a gallon of Vienna-Simcoe SMaSH or S-04 harvested yesterday from my Caramel Amber Ale. I'll be adding 100g of loose leaf Chinese black tea into the secondary.

I've got about half a liter of the US-05 and maybe 700 mL of the S-04. Target is 5.5 gallons @1.045, though I've been overshooting both volume and gravity lately as I'm learning about my equipment and ingredients, so it could be as much as 6.25 gallons @1.050. Suggestions on pitch rates?

I'm a set up for my chocolate coconut imperial milk stout. Smoking a pork butt and trying to multitask. I'm thinking I should have done one or the other. :)

Got all set up for a a 11 gallon brew of Cream of 3 Crops Cream Ale and just discovered I only had 3 of the 4 pounds of corn. What say you all? Brew her up anyway?

Brewing a Coal Porter today. Then heading to the beach.

That's pretty funny. I guess maybe more so to me since my name is Cole though I was named after Cole Younger not Porter. Still pretty hilarious.

Brewing up another batch of my Atocha Amber while getting ready to grill some steaks and enjoy a few cigars. Hope everyone's having a good one.

In the middle of my mash for Cream of Three Crops. I changed the grain bill a tad by adding .5 lbs pale, 8 oz of maize. So far so good, did run into a little bit of trouble getting the mash temp up to 152F. But so far so good.

We got a total red alert beer situation going on here so I knocked out two batches yesterday and kegged another two today. And yet again, even with a 6+ tap keezer, a full size carb/cold-conditioning + hop storage fridge/freezer, and another full size unit for fermentation during warm weather, I still wish I had another fridge in the brewery...

Cheers! :drunk:

ab_may_25_2014_10_sm.jpg

That's pretty funny. I guess maybe more so to me since my name is Cole though I was named after Cole Younger not Porter. Still pretty hilarious.

Brewing up another batch of my Atocha Amber while getting ready to grill some steaks and enjoy a few cigars. Hope everyone's having a good one.

I like the name thing. I had a fishin/runnin' buddy as a boy whose given name was Butch Cassidy...so naturally everyone started callin' me the Sundance Kid. :rockin: And the Etocha was one of three very heavily laden Spanish treasure galleons they found a few years back in the keys. Cool,historical name for a beer. I got my Petite Saison De 'Ete in the fermenter at 5:57. It already pegged the airlock center piece. I can't wait to see how the 3711 French saison yeast comes out. Got the pit absolutely loaded with chicken legs,thighs,& sweet Italian sausage. Got some Georgia moon BBQ sauce for the chicken from the place my son works. With pecan wood on the coals. :rockin:

My new LHBS is having their second tasting event and will have a brewing class/demo as well. I will bring some of my brew to taste but will probably brew this Sunday at home. If I can find the WLP810 San Fran lager yeast I'll make another Cali Common...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

brewed 5 gallons of an American Wheat Ale on my new "e-herms" on a budget set up.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401201579.999610.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Brewed a mini-batch (2.9 gallon) of a Columbus IPA recipe that I'm testing. I've gotten lazy recently and have been doing a series of biab w/o sparge brews. By limiting the batch size, I'm able to do biab on the kitchen stove (no propane required). For this batch, 2.9 gallons with a grain bill of about 7 3/4 # results in a 4.9 gallon mash, just barely fitting in a 5 gallon pot with the bag and false bottom.

Also overshot my target starting gravity using this method, apparently my efficiency (according to beersmith) was 6% higher than normal than my usual biab + batch sparge. Oh well, it's an IPA after all so no biggie.

Brewing a Lemon Zest Hefeweizen on Friday. Quick turn around summer beer while my amber stays in primary for another month or so. Been two weeks since my last brew so .... excited. Finally got my garage squared away and all my gear re-cleaned and prepped.

My LHBS (Brewery Lane in Mount Pearl, Newfoundland) have starting selling there own extract kits under the name Barking Kettle. Their deal of the month for online newsletter subscribers is a one time purchase 50% off on these kits. So I went in today and picked up a Barking Kettle Bayman Porter kit.

It has 6.6lbs of LME, a bag of steeping grains (roasted barley, chocolate malt, crystal malt), 2oz Fuggles, 1oz EKG, a sachet of Safale S-04, a muslin bag and instructions. Cost to me, $31CDN. Remember that's at half off the regular price (stuff is more expensive here especially malt extract). I have been wanting to give their kits a try but at the regular price it just wasn't happening.

So the plan is to bang this kit out on Saturday after the wife leaves for night shift (nurse) and the kids have gone to bed. Should make for a shorter brew night than the all grain batches I've been doing lately.

My ingredients for my 1st dampfbier experiment is scheduled for delivery today. Even if the Irish red's ready to bottle,I need a bit wider spigot seal to seal up a small leak before re-using the fermenter. Hoping to brew again this weekend. Even tougher yet with the fridge fubared...:(

Provided my sanitizer arrives Saturday, I'm brewing up a two gallon batch of darth vader black ipa.

I did another FG test on the Irish red just now. Stalled at 1.020,got it down to 1.016 almost a week ago. 1.014 today,close enough. So I'll need to bottle it tomorrow & get the fermenter cleaned so I can fix it & get the PM dampfbier in it this weekend. New summer brew time! :ban:

Sunday I'm doing a Simcoe IPL with one 60 min boil hop addition and all the rest of the hops in the mash.

Mash hopping has been working really well for me giving great hop aroma and flavor and very little hop sludge in the kettle.

I'm doing an all citra hopped pale ale and a clone of Terrapins oatmeal coffee imperial stout. Its going to be a long day.

This is the only time of the year that I'm HAPPILY NOT brewing. Philly Beer Week starts today. I will be putting my liver to work for the next 10 days. Won't have any time for brewing. Just sampling, sampling, sampling. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning right now. Tonight I'm starting with a Dogfish Head Tap Takeover. They have 8-9 DFH beers on tap including World Wide Stout and 120.

:mug:

I've got my own black IPA recipe that I've named 'Murder of Crows' that I'll be bottling on Saturday (very anxious to taste this), a wheat beer that I'll be adding mixed fruit to (blackberry, raspberry, blueberry and strawberry) as I move it to secondary, and finally I'll be brewing a batch of Cream Ale on Sunday.

Well,bottling day got pushed to tomorrow for the Irish red. Gotta get a larger OD spigot seal for the fermenter I'll be emptying so I can fill it with My first PM dampfbier recipe maybe Sunday.

Woo hoo my sanitizer is already here. Just need to decide between 2 gallons of darth vader ipa, first 5 gallon batch of rye stout or 1 gallon of rum runner stout...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back