so what's all this bout chinese sheetrock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GranillaNutz

Reaction score
been hearing a lot about it today on the news. kinda scares me, as much sheetrock dust i am exposed to everyday. first the lead paint in toys, then the poison dogfood.. now this.. don't know if the seriousness of this is accurate, but apparently there's sulfuric acid mixed with the rock that can corrode metal studs, copper pipes, and wire. and it's toxic.
Chinese Sheetrock Investigation | New Homes Section Blog

Just a point of information, don't know if it applies. Gypsum can be made by adding limestone to the sulfur compounds (including sulfuric acid) that are part of the exhaust from coal plants. Get the mixing ratios wrong and you'd have some excess acid.

This is a country where people make fake fly-ash (another coal waste product).

i kno u.s. gypsum is in the clear. this whole ordeal with the Chinese stuff has been traced back to 2001. it makes me wonder if the U.S. is making up all of this stuff to get away from the Chinese market, or is china trying to kill us with subtle chemical warfare. mabye if i continue to smoke cigarettes and drink lots of beer, i will be immune to these communist chemicals.
well i do believe u.s. gypsum is around 8 bux a share (or less i didn't check) so it may be a good thing if ur in the market

Back