So what should I do with this - freezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxpx5678

Reaction score
I got this freezer off craigslist for 25 bucks. I already have another 5cu. ft. freezer that I am going to turn into a keezer. I was hoping I could use this one as a fermenting chamber but I am not sure it will work for that.

It is a Frigidaire 5cu ft freezer.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Options are

1. Shove a bucket in there (it fits with the hump but barley and squeezes the bucket a little)
2. Build a collar on it and put the bucket / carboy on the hump
3. Use it for food
4. Sell it.

photo%25204.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

Thinking building a collar might be my best bet. And using it for food when not fermenting. Wish I hadn't got this one but it was only 25 dollars.

Looks like you could put it on the hump with the lid on, then just run a blow-off tube to a bottle of sanitizer on the floor instead of using an airlock.

Just squeezing the bucket to get it on the floor would probably work too as long as your aren't squeezing it too tight.

If I was closer I would say I would come buy it from you but the price of gas would negate any savings I would get from buying it from you. You could always use it to store a dead body in.

DustBow said:
Looks like you could put it on the hump with the lid on, then just run a blow-off tube to a bottle of sanitizer on the floor instead of using an airlock.

Just squeezing the bucket to get it on the floor would probably work too as long as your aren't squeezing it too tight.

The lid would make it so I can't fit on the hump with airlock or blowoff. It needs some kind of collar. Maybe I will try it with a ledge on the bottom so it is squeezed in but rests on something.

snccoulter said:
If I was closer I would say I would come buy it from you but the price of gas would negate any savings I would get from buying it from you. You could always use it to store a dead body in.

Hanford is pretty far. Do you ever make it up to Modesto area? If you do maybe we can do some group buys or trade some stuff.

thanks for sharing this. I am looking for a 5.0 CU FT one for fermenting too, Might need to reconsider the size.

OatStraw said:
thanks for sharing this. I am looking for a 5.0 CU FT one for fermenting too, Might need to reconsider the size.

Not all of them are bad. There is a holiday 5 cu ft. One right next to this one. And it would work perfect. The hump on this one is just so big.

Yeah, it's all about the "hump" :)
I found a 5 cu ft model with the hump just in the back corner, so I can fit 3 kegs on the floor and 1 one the hump. Or I can fit 1 carboy/bucket on the floor if I wanted to ferment in there.
When they tweak the interior designs even by just a couple inches, it throws off everything

Hmmm. Well now after leaving the freezer plugged in all day it isn't down to a cold temp. I think this project might just be doomed.

If you don't mind, how wide is that total? I'm looking a 3-foot wide one tomorrow, and want to get an idea if it's too small.

CCericola said:
If you don't mind, how wide is that total? I'm looking a 3-foot wide one tomorrow, and want to get an idea if it's too small.

It is really the hump inside you need to worry about. You should bring whatever you are going to put in it with you.

Back