So What Infection Did I Get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
Looks like my stout got sick a few days ago. It had been in primary for about 2 weeks. I believe something wasn't sanitized correctly when I took the last sample...oops. It was pretty quiet until a few days ago when things started bubbling again.

I tried to get a picture of the critters but there's too much glare off the carboy. Maybe once they've been in there a while I'll get one. But there are rather large "clumps" that burp out some rather large amounts of gas (make very large bubbles). They seem to all be in the top 1-2 inches of the beer. When they burp they sort of "explode", and this reddish, mealy substance emanates from them. There is also a very light, milky/whispy film starting to cover the surface. Beer tastes fine, but a STRONG vinegar smell.

Anyways, anyone have a clue as to what I got? I realize there's not much to go on without pics...figured if it were common enough someone would know based off the description. I racked the beer out of there (leaving a few inches in the carboy) and kegged/chilled it. Hopefully that'll stop the bastards from doing anything else.

Started to sound like a lacto infection. But your description of the red stuff sounds different,not to mention the vinegar smell. Acetobacter?

Started to sound like a lacto infection. But your description of the red stuff sounds different,not to mention the vinegar smell. Acetobacter?

I agree, the soapy film and large bubbles sounds like lacto, but vinegar would be associated with acetobacter. I'm not schooled enough on sour bugs to be more specific than that, though.

Back