So, what have you got set back to bust out on Thanksgiving?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medo

Reaction score
Ahoy hoy,
I have a 1.1 gallon mini keg with a cascade ale in it from early sept. Do not know if its any good at all, due to an equipment malfunction i ended up losing most of the batch, and had 2.3 gallons left. I thought this is a good time to use those 2 mini kegs i got for 20 bucks with the co2 charger, off of ebay. So I kegged them up. One for turkey day, and, if it isnt total drain flush, one for Xmas day. I also have some stone ipa clone that should be about ready by next thursday.
Also just for the hell of it I have a couple bottles of stone double bastard set aside in case I need to go to la la land in a hurry :drunk:
How you other folks set for the holiday?
I bid you all a great day!

Unfortunately I'm driving 600 miles to spend Turkey Day with family..... who are prohibitionists.

Ok not really all of them prohibitionists, but if I show up with some Apfelwein or some Homebrew ale no one would partake and it would definitely be uncomfortable. Its going to be a dry thanksgiving for me

I dont know if it counts since this is in the general beer discussion but I have a metheglynn (spiced mead) that Ive been saving/aging for more than a year. It tastes like a spiced hard cider or a spiced slightly less dry apfelwein so it should be perfect with thanksgiving dinner.

I got my Pumpkin Porter to bust out for the family...and a couple bottles left of Belgian Wit for the non-dark beer drinkers.

I'll likely bring a jug of very young, very green apfelwein to SWMBO's parents' house. They go through a lot of wine on Thanksgiving. :drunk:

I brewed a Vanilla Coffee Porter in July just for the occasion. I'm thinking beer floats for dessert. I also have a Scottish that might go well with the meal. I overdid the oak on my Scottish and am waiting for it to mellow out though...

Beer list for Thanksgiving party...

Wisconsin Common Hard Cider: 6% ABV - Ready just in time for Thanksgiving

Wild Rice Backyard Hop Ale: 5.5% ABV, 61 IBU - Fall seasonal

Saison Ete: 8.7% ABV, 33 IBU

Belgian-American IPA: 9.1% ABV, 46 IBU

Belgian Strong Ale: 9.4% ABV, 28 IBU

I have a Saison that SHOULD be ready by thanksgiving (in the bottles - we'll see how it goes).

I have a cranberry wheat that is nice, light, and frothy.

I have a Bock that I messed up - I fermented it with lager yeast at 70 degrees... so.. well.. it's not really a bock. It's VERY malty and heavy... I'm going to pass it off to the people in my family that know absolutely nothing about beer as something very fancy. They'll blow through it for me, and at 8.5% they should be happy. It's better than Zima or whatever crap they usually bring over. Anyway - I want my nice fliptop bottles back so hopefully people drink it up.

I made a cranberry ale using 2 pounds of fresh cranberries and it's been sitting in the keg carbonating for over a week now. I snuck a taste the other day and it seemed a little light on the cranberry to me. I may try another sample now that it's fully carbed and cooled. I hope it turns out good.

I made a cranberry ale using 2 pounds of fresh cranberries and it's been sitting in the keg carbonating for over a week now. I snuck a taste the other day and it seemed a little light on the cranberry to me. I may try another sample now that it's fully carbed and cooled. I hope it turns out good.

Did you grind em up or leave em whole?

Well my oatmeal stout got put on the gas last weekend, so it will be ready as far as carb goes. It wont be at peak flavor yet, but that is probably what I will be sipping on. Plus I also have a bottle of dry stout that I have aged for over a year, and a bottle of a frontier ale that has been aging about 11 months. Those will probably be my desert.

Just a nice tart cranberry wine that's been bulk aging for about six months. Which reminds me, I need to bottle this right away!

BM's Guinness clone
A pale ale
Northern Brown Ale
Spiced Cherry Belgian Dubbel
Apfelwine
DFH60 Clone

As long as there won't be too many people there, I'd like to take the last 12 pints of my Hint o' pumpkin red ale. There will be plenty of other drinks there as well, I just want to be sure to have enough that everyone gets some of mine. Maybe I can even sneak some to my young cousins!:D

I have a special batch of brown ale that I'm going to rack into the keg today so it will be ready. Special because my son was home from college 3 weeks ago and it is his first brew with me. It should be ready when he gets home next week...
Also have an Extra Pale Ale, an IPA and some Apfelwein on tap.

We have quite a crowd coming over so I’ve been getting ready for a while.

On tap:
Kroggen (a Roggenbier w/Kolsch yeast)
Dry Stout
Oktoberfest (EdWort style w/Kolsch yeast)
SmaSH (MO/Centennial)
Hefenly Weizen

It’s been a challenge to stay away from the taps. I suspect that there may less than two gallons of the Oktoberfest left. There will also be a Smoked Porter and Black Ale for sampling, but both will be better for the Christmas holiday.

This is a family gathering and there will be a wide range of beer tastes represented. I’m really looking forward showing off my hobby and getting the critiques. Not so much the wife’s, but my side of the family will be brutally honest.

About 6 weeks ago I brewed a hoppy brown ale which I'm turning into three beers: a brown ale, a braggot, and a holiday-spiced ale. The braggot will have to wait until T-giving 2009, but I'll be serving up the other two next week.

In the no alcohol family as well. Although my mom suggested I take some to my grandpa for his 80th back in feb. So I did, I'll probably drink those with him at thanksgiving! haha. Might take a couple bottles of mead for people to try, and just see, If nobody wants any oh well, I'll bring it back home.

I am hoping the robust porter will be ready by then. It will be less than 5 weeks since brew day on Turkey day, so I am not that hopefull for it. Looks like it might be store bought beer for Turkey day :(

We will be having two other homebrew couples over for dinner, so there will be no lack of homebrew. I have three fresh kegs that I'll tap.

Pelican Doryman's Dark clone
JZ's Evil Twin
Blind Pig IPA

We'll probably also break out various ciders and such.

Will be having dinner at SWMBO's friend's house since we have no family here. I'll be trying my Christmas beer for the first time since racking (double porter). And no doubt we will kill a few bottles of fermented California grape juice as well.

First opening of a Caramel Vanilla Cream Ale. Will be at 3 weeks in the bottle so it should be good to go. It is my first personal recipe so I am hopeful that it turns out.

My IPA and APA become ripe for the drinking right around thanksgiving. So MANY of those because my Dad is in town.

Pumpkin Porter, possibly a cider, definitely some wine I made last year. I don't know if it will go over well or not as I am going to the SWMBO's family's house for dinner.

I'll be partying down with some co-workers (news doesn't take a holiday). I'll be bringing my last 12-pack of pumpkin spice, and 2.5 gallons of banana bread ale.

I'm busting open a 2 liter growler of Dennys BVIP that was brewed on 12/18/07.
+ some Edworts Apfelwine. :ban:

A keg of Honey Brown and a keg of Blueberry Porter - family will be at our house for Thanksgiving this year.

Sadly, my pumpkin ale got an infection from an unsanitary racking cane... had to dump it

I have friends coming down we will be having

Bought-Highland Gaelic Ale along with many other of thier varieties.

Brewed-D.I.P.A., CranbeerY, Dark Thunder.

Will be bottling my Gaelic Ale Clone- if the g/f allows that.

I have two kegs ready for the family.One is an APA that I find really enjoyable (so much so I had to quit drinking it over a week ago so they would be some left for T-day!) and another that is an original recipe that I'm hoping they like. In case they don't I have Bud, Corona and some Dundee stuff in bottles.My son is also bringing some of his home made wine.... we should be all set.

I have Haus Ale, Oktoberfest, Kolsch, RIS, Coffee Stout, and Apfelwein plus Boulevard Nut Cracker, some Widmer Snow Plow and Anchor's Christmas beer.

Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale on tap as well as some Old Rasputin, couple bottles of Dupont, and a bunch of Sessions lager for the less adventurous...

Back