so what happens when you don't sparge gently?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoym8e

Reaction score
I am doing 5 gallon mini-mash + extract boils now, so I am steeping for 30 minutes at about 150-155 in the first 2.5 gallons of water, and then putting the grains (in thir bag yet) in a collander in the top of my brew kettle and sparging with the other 2.5 gallons that I had been warming to 165-170 separately.

I know I've seen people design elaborate sparging wands, and was wondering what happens if I just pour 2.5 gallons of water through the grain? I don't DUMP it in form 3 feet away, but I probably pour the 2.5 gallons through the grain in less than 30 or 40 seconds. the water definitely runs out of the bottom clear afterwards.

Am I inviting clarity (chill haze) problems down the road?

Just curious.

Thanks

Your just gonna get lower effeciency. No big deal really, just use more malt. When you pour the h20, its gonna cut channels through the mash bed, and the water will follow the path of least resistance to the bottom, bypassing alot of the grain. As long as the h20 is less then 175 you shouldnt leach any tannins.
I use to ladel mine nice and gently...

You lose a little efficiency, which really isn't much of a problem in mini-mashes. Most of the malt comes from the extract. Slower sparging gives the sugar more time to dissolve. I have this huge grain bag that I use for mini-mashes. After the mash has cooked, I add all of the sparge water to the kettle, stir the grain for five minutes and lift the bag out.

on that mini mash I'd extend your scarification rest to 60 minutes instead of 30.

caymancooler%20022.jpg

seepage through your calendar as you described and you'll be fine

your scarification rest has allowed the grain to convert. you're just washing out the sugars. pour slowly though.

Back