So what do you guys/girls think of this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob1484

Reaction score
3 gallon batch
---- LB--- OZ
89%--2----8-----Briess Pilsen Light DME
9%---0----4-----Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
2%---0----1-----Wheat, Torrified

boil 30 mins 0.75 Czech Saaz leaf 3.6
boil 15 mins 0.50 Czech Saaz leaf 3.6
boil 5. mins 0.50 Czech Saaz leaf 3.6

OG 1.040
FG 1.011

hopville says 3.9% abv and 20.9 IBU

with S-04

hopville linky:
light ale 1

I'm going for a low abv, hot weather, drink all day and not get hammered kind of beer.
if it turns out good I'll call it weedeater; if it sucks i'll call it pisswater

opinions?

I love Saaz in my lighter beers. I also think s-04 is a good choice because when i have used it it cleanly fermented and was pretty crisp.

I think 20% crystal is a lot for a light beer, although it is a very light crystal. Personally, if I am trying to make a light, easy drinking beer, I go 0% crystal malt. If you are looking for color only, I would look for less of a darker crystal.

Also, are you going to mini-mash the wheat. If not, you will just pull starch into the beer, very little flavor. But at 2% that is very low anyway. If you are looking for the improved head retention that comes with a little wheat, try adding 1 lb of a wheat DME.

I agree that the Saaz is a good choice.

I think 20% crystal is a lot for a light beer, although it is a very light crystal. Personally, if I am trying to make a light, easy drinking beer, I go 0% crystal malt. If you are looking for color only, I would look for less of a darker crystal.

Also, are you going to mini-mash the wheat. If not, you will just pull starch into the beer, very little flavor. But at 2% that is very low anyway. If you are looking for the improved head retention that comes with a little wheat, try adding 1 lb of a wheat DME.

I agree that the Saaz is a good choice.

I was looking for just a little color and depth from the crystal. I'm hoping for a little help with head retention from the torrified wheat but what it really comes down to is I happen to have just 1 oz of torrified wheat left over from my last brew and thought I would just toss it in with this instead of letting it sit in the freezer and be forgotten about :eek:

I think it's way too much crystal. It may turn out a bit cloying instead of highly quaffable with that much crystal. I'd cut the crystal in half at least. I'd also increase the malt a bit. I'd go with at least 3% ABV.

that's 2 for too much crystal
i'll edit the recipe in the first post and see what you guys think from there.
thanks for all the input so far.

so i cut the crystal in half and added 1/4lb sugar to boost the abv a little.
if this is a terrible idea let me know...

so i cut the crystal in half and added 1/4lb sugar to boost the abv a little.
if this is a terrible idea let me know...

I don't like the idea of sugar. The beer is already low on malt (OG of 1.029ish) and adding some sugar will only thin the beer. I'd add another .5 to .75 pound of malt.

killed the sugar and upped the malt.
i also upped the hops @30 by .25 ounce to counter the extra malt..
first post edited

Back