so what can you tell me about boil overs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSorenson

Reaction score
Having the worst brew day ever. the latest event was a boil over when I added my 90 (and only) hop addition. Are my bitterness levels screwed? I see fine particulates down the sides of my kettle. I'm hoping my imperial stout isn't screwed... we're going to call it a pout. Cheer me up.

I'm sure you're probably fine. Relax and have a home brew :)

Keep a spray bottle of cold water around and spray the boil over as it's rising. The spray will break the surface area of the boil over and the wort will go back down into your pot.

I just watch it, as it starts the rolling boil I stir vigorously, and turn the head down just a tad. After it gets settled I turn the heat back to a rolling boil.

Yeah, I can tell you that boilovers suck.

They make a mess and make you sad for losing wort. You may lose a little bitterness but it shouldn't be noticeable in the finished product. Fermcap is one way to reduce boilovers. Also, when adding hops always watch for them. They sneak up quick but especially happen when you first come to a good boil before the hot break, then again can rear their ugly heads when you add anything to the boil. Just stir well when it starts and drop the heat a touch and it will go down (just like it does when making pasta).

Just to put it out there, there are FDA recommendations against using Fermcap-S in unfiltered beer due to the silicone content. I know a lot of people still use it in unfiltered beer, but I'm a believer in making informed decisions.

Other than that, like everyone else has suggested, whenever I add something to my brew pot, it's left hand on the burner control knob, and right hand clutching a spray bottle filled with plain water.

Cheers!

Other than that, like everyone else has suggested, whenever I add something to my brew pot, it's left hand on the burner control knob, and right hand clutching a spray bottle filled with plain water.

Cheers!

So you drop your additions in with your mouth? Or do you use the third hand that grew from fermcap consumption?

I have a catapult on a timer. Set the switch, get ready to stir/temp adjust, and wait for the hops to fling.

I embedded a few pellets in the side of my face early on, but I really have the kinks worked out now...

Just to put it out there, there are FDA recommendations against using Fermcap-S in unfiltered beer due to the silicone content. I know a lot of people still use it in unfiltered beer, but I'm a believer in making informed decisions.

Me too! Do you have a source or a link for this claim? Reason I ask is that I use it in all my starters and boils. If there is a health issue I'd like to find out more about it.

LovesIPA said:
Me too! Do you have a source or a link for this claim? Reason I ask is that I use it in all my starters and boils. If there is a health issue I'd like to find out more about it.

John Palmer, How to Brew, covers this

John Palmer, How to Brew, covers this

I searched the online version for both "fermcap" and "silicone" and got no hits. I have a hard copy of the 3rd edition and couldn't either of those references in the index, which isn't really all that surprising. I re-read the sections on boiling and couldn't find any reference to it there either.

Do you know what page it's on?

LovesIPA said:
I searched the online version for both "fermcap" and "silicone" and got no hits. I have a hard copy of the 3rd edition and couldn't either of those references in the index, which isn't really all that surprising. I re-read the sections on boiling and couldn't find any reference to it there either.

Do you know what page it's on?

Ok, this is what happens when I go with my recollection and don't have the book in front of me. I'm home now and checked and I realize I was confusing two different things. I know I've heard this about Fermcap. However what I was recalling from Palmer is about using Polyclear and silica gel for clarifying beer, page 280-281.

I recalling hearing or reading about this concern from some source. I listened to the Brew Strong episode on the boil a few weeks back. Maybe it was there. But for now don't believe I thing I say.

Thanks everyone, it's fermenting away for better or worse. Thanks for the knowledge and experience.

Just to put it out there, there are FDA recommendations against using Fermcap-S in unfiltered beer due to the silicone content.

If you don't have a source for this information, then it's BS.

I've had a boil over on almost every single batch (I tend to stop paying attention) and every beer has been greta. Our DIPA had a massive boil over and I lost a LOT of hops, but holy crap it still packed a punch and was arguably the best IPA I've had. You'll be fine.

My preference is the more natural the better, people have been brewing without added chemicals for thousands of years. Take your time and stir....

Well guys, I can safely talk you that there is little if any hop bitterness from my single 90 min CTZ addition. Still a good stout, but it is all malt. Case closed! Now we know the results.

Since I began this " left hand on the burner control knob, and right hand clutching a spray bottle filled with plain water." AT THE BEGINNING OF THE BOIL AND AFTER TOSSING IN THE HOPS. I haven't had a boil over in 2 years. Just pay attention to what you are doing and you should never have a boil over.

I believe it was a combination of having too much volume, a high gravity beer, and as you said c-ryder.... a general unpreparedness. :)

Latest posts

Back