So, the first time I needed a blowoff tube... with photo!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zepth

Reaction score
So here's the back story. After running dangerously low of homebrew a day dedicated to creation of more is in order, Saturday after a morning shift fits the bill. 2 x 5 gallon batches. One hefeweizen (or more likely future kristall), and an american amber/red. That s hould fill things in the pipeline nicely with some all important variety.

The call comes in that Sunday afternoon I need to be on my way out of the city for work, spend the night there, then get home at some ungodly hour of that night that shouldn't exist. My homebrew has to be left entirely alone for 36 hours, commencing a mere 12 after pitching. An interesting development indeed.

Long story short, I returned to this:

Blowoff.jpg

Were you forward thinking or did someone save the day for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I start all my fermentations with a blow off tube installed.

I leave all of them alone for at least 14 days, and most often 21 or more.

Don't worry just control the temperature for 14 days to 4+ weeks....

This is honestly why I typically avoid fermenting in a carboy. They are too small for a batch of beer. Even 6.5 gallon ones are too small for anything over 1.055
Not enough headspace and such a pain to clean. I bought 7.9 gallon buckets and refuse to ever turn back. I have even had a couple of 5 gallon batches (very very few) run beer into my airlocks in a 7.9 gallon bucket!

Don't worry just control the temperature for 14 days to 4+ weeks....
Aside from making a swamp cooler out of the same bin I've got nothing as far as ferm temp controls go at this point. Open the window at night to cool the room and that's about it. Always something new to acquire...
Were you forward thinking or did someone save the day for you?

That would be the first one. I usually leave enough headspace that it doesn't come close to the neck of the carboy, decided to do things different this time around. I just thought it would be a nice surprise from the regular "Needed tube, beer exploded" thread.

Back