So the DNA test is in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty73741

Reaction score
I got my dog a DNA test.
I got her from a person who was trying to get me to get a pit bull. she kept telling me how nice those dogs are. I didnt want to hear any of that. She got mad when i told her that i really dont trust those dogs. that there instincts are in there DNA. So she gets me this dog & a about a year later she told me it was a PIT. i was PISSED. i can loose my home owners & also she has to be registered with my local county. I get the test. I thought she was a mixed lab. WEll it turn out every one was wrong.

Great Dane, Doberman, German Short hair pointer

No wonder she a pain in the ass to train

I really want a dane/something mix. My wife doesn't like the size of danes (I love them..) so something a little smaller might work. Especially if I get it as a puppy and don't let my wife see the mom/dad ;)

I had a dane/shepherd mix. Best. Dog. Ever. Huge, smart as a whip and the sweetest dog you'd ever want to meet.

We miss you, Sergeant. Sorely.

-Joe

How much was the test. I'm really curious to know what breed(s) make up my *****.

1-dakita.jpg

Great Dane, Doberman, German Short hair pointer

Did they give you % of each of those?

Most of these services that I have seen do not include all breeds. Since "pit bull" is used rather loosely, I wonder if that is a breed they can test for.

We have a mutt and were curious about her background and looked into having one of these test done but the breed she most resembles is not on those lists.

How much was the test. I'm really curious to know what breed(s) make up my *****.

Looks like a beagle/lab mix to me. Might be a little something else in there, her legs look rather stout for either a beagle or a lab; almost like a bulldog's, or a staffordshire's stout legs. Maybe it's just the camera angle. Regards, GF.

:off:

I think its hilarious when people use the term '*****' to refer to a dog. I was watching a dog show recently and it was pretty funny to hear the old man and lady who were calling the show saying things like "That dog is the top *****" or "This ***** really has confidence."

That DNA testing is cool...I'm going to show my roommate how cheap it is...we've been wondering if his new border collie is purebred.

That being said, pit bulls are naturally very sweet dogs. I've never met an agressive pit bull that was not neglected or abused. They were bred for fighting due to their jaws and their athleticism, not their disposition. Poor dogs get such a bad rap.

That DNA testing is cool...I'm going to show my roommate how cheap it is...we've been wondering if his new border collie is purebred.

That being said, pit bulls are naturally very sweet dogs. I've never met an agressive pit bull that was not neglected or abused. They were bred for fighting due to their jaws and their athleticism, not their disposition. Poor dogs get such a bad rap.

+1. I had a German Shephard/Boxer, and lived between one house with a Pit and another with a Rottie. I kept hearing about how dangerous my neighbor's dogs were (breed-wise), and i had to laugh. We would let all three dogs play together, and mine was usually the alpha. The Rottie would ALWAYS bow down to mine, even though he out weighed mine by a good 40-50 lbs.

Sick of debating pit bulls here. My views on them (I love em) have been expressed elsewhere.

That said, view dog DNA tests as what they are - novelty. There have been purebred dogs that come back as another breed. The tests rely on genetic markers - some of which are not an entirely reliable indication of what breed a dog is/ has in it's background.

I had to chime in. Pit bulls and their parent dogs (Staffardshire Terriors) are great dogs! They are given a completely bad rap. As long as you get one from a breeder at a young age and raise it right, you will have a wonderful, loving dog on your hands.

Getting a "used dog" from the pound is another subject though. At that point I would say no, don't get a Pit.

I had to chime in. Pit bulls and their parent dogs (Staffardshire Terriors) are great dogs! They are given a completely bad rap. As long as you get one from a breeder at a young age and raise it right, you will have a wonderful, loving dog on your hands.

Getting a "used dog" from the pound is another subject though. At that point I would say no, don't get a Pit.

Our pit, Kiwi, came to us "used". She had some MAJOR issues when she came to us (fear - she'd been shot and beaten... was terrified of men). She was NOT ready for an unexperienced home. We took her in to get her used to men (I'm big and kinda scary looking, but 99% of dogs love me). She still has some issues (who wouldn't), but we trust her 100% with our 4 year old, cats, and the other dogs. For the "average" owner, however, she would have been a terrible choice.

For ANY breed, getting the dog from a REPUTABLE breeder (Hint: Expect a waiting list) is important. Training is important. Dogs are a pack animal - YOU need to be the leader of the pack.

Almost any dog can be a good dog with proper ownership, almost any dog can be a bad dog with improper ownership.

I honestly dont like the breed. I dont like the inherent traits of Pit's. I do agree that alot of aggression has to do with training. Most people dont dominate there dogs. I just didnt want a PIT because of liability issues, loosing my home owners, etc etc. I really wanted a lab mix because of their loyalty & ease of training. MY mix dane is a pain in the ass to train

If you get bit by a beagle, it's going to hurt. If you get bit by a Pit, it's going to be major damage, or possibly death (for younger ages). Any dog can suddenly bite for some unknown reason. With young kids, I'd rather not risk it. Many times has a large dog hurt a small child and everyone says they were the sweetest dog.

I would always keep on eye on a large dog and a small child.

I honestly dont like the breed. I dont like the inherent traits of Pit's. I do agree that alot of aggression has to do with training. Most people dont dominate there dogs. I just didnt want a PIT because of liability issues, loosing my home owners, etc etc. I really wanted a lab mix because of their loyalty & ease of training. MY mix dane is a pain in the ass to train

Funny... I think labs are a pain in the ass till they grow up (3-6 depending on dog).

Many "pit bull" attacks turn out to be lab mixes... The media just knows that "pit bull" attack sounds way "better" than labrador attack. Pay attention to pictures - you'll notice that often the pictures are NOT of a pit...

Back