So...overcarbonated cider...now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siouxbee

Reaction score
I have joined the bottle bomb club. :) I didn't pay attention to how long my bottles were carbonating...(long story but justified inattention ;) )
Anyhoo, I box up my bottles just in case-and I came home to the beautiful smell of cherry cider exploded in my dining room. I only lost 3 bottles out of 36-and immediately stuffed them into the fridge.
Cider tastes awesome btw...but when I open the 22, it can be anywhere from a little foam to old faithful. How do I open an overcarbonated bottle without loosing too much product, and should I open and recap or just drink faster?
Any recommendations are great, thanks!

Hmmmm....I know when you open a bottle of pop that's been shaken the best way to do it is to slightly crack it open to let the excess gas out before opening it all the way. I don't know if that's the right idea for your case, but just a thought....I'm having the opposite problem: mine won't carbonate.

montrachet yeast, and I backsweetened with 3 cans of apple concentrate and a half gallon of cherry juice. I let it sit for 2 weeks in the carboy, bottled with the intent of bottle pasturizing in 5 days-but life happened.
When I open the bottle, I get a big fffftttt and a second or two before the foam geyser starts. I can pour really fast into a large mason jar and not loose too much unless I am slow and the foam gets going, then I am lucky if I get a half a glass.

Ah, I didn't even think of the freezer. I will try that tomorrow night and drink faster. I have a couple of friends that will help me. :)

Open overcarbed bottles of cider/beer over a pitcher, wait a few minutes, then serve it ;)

Vent your caps (room temperature bottles) to fix your carbonation woes. It's easy and you don't have to remove the caps.

I have a batch that foams over at room temperature but is fine when cold. If you cool them down heaps maybe some of the co2 will re-disolve into the cider?

Back