So my wife caught me reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Tasting Beer, by Randy Mosher. It wasn't my first choice of book to buy at the Homebrew Day earlier this month, but I had told her that Radical Brewing is what I wanted for my birthday, so I held off on buying a copy there (and having it autographed!) and picked up Tasting Beer (which I have been enjoying VERY much so far).

I casually mentioned that I almost bought it again on Saturday when I stopped by the LHBS in Standale (Grand Rapids), since I didn't get it for my birthday. She said it was coming on Wednesday.

"Yeah Right!"

"No, really, I ordered it yesterday and it should be here on Wednesday."

Better late than never I guess.

If it is put together anything like Tasting Beer, then I'm in for a treat!

I don't have either of these books, but DGB is certainly worth picking up.

Radical Brewing is a great book. So far, I am liking Tasting Beer even more, but I am first and foremost a beer snob. Brewing is really a spawn of that. Mosher has done some great work though.

I have not read DGB - yet!

I like the Tasting Beer layout. The content is interesting and informative and put to you with wit and humour. Mr. Mosher is a very nice and knowledgeable person, and his ability to write is very apparent in this book. At a seminar in Grand Rapids this spring he brought his own collection of spices and sugars for brewing. Stuff that is used all over the world. I had no idea that there were that many types of coriander! You got to taste each and all.

I'm so geeked to read Radical Brewing. I'm more interested in that as I am a homebrewer first and my purchase of tasting beer was a result of my desire to make better beer and learn more about it's history and how to taste it and evaluate it's flavors and other properties.

I am hoping Radical Brewing will go into more detail of the process of brewing and even introduce information about styles and beers that I have not heard of.

There was another book at the seminar that I can't quite remember the name of. It was almost a workbook style, judging by the quick page-flipping that I did. Lots of charts and forms.

Radical Brewing is fun. It is a brewing book -- 100+ recipes, some of which are just ideas to ponder ("how about an Imperial Juniper Pilsner?" or something like that).

Radical Brewing is my favorite piece of brewing literature. Every time I get in a brewing slump, I pull out that book to get excited about brewing again. Tasting Beer is also a pretty good read so far.

Update: I'm home on liquid diet (not the good kind) in advance of tomorrow's procedure, and my wife calls and asks me if my package came. Well, I guess maybe that was why the dogs were barking. So I go to the door to see, and yes, there is a book-sized box just inside the door! Hmmm... Seems kind of heavy for a book. Probably just catalogues from Amazon or something.

Nope. She also ordered Designing Great Beers, and How to Brew. Both of which I also wanted but don't have yet. I've never mentioned them before, she just bought them from other people's recommendations on Amazon.

I have so much to read! They all look like great books!

So, I guess I better go watch that dumb chick flick she's been bugging me to see with her.

Ugh, I started reading them all, just checking them out and I can't decide which one to read at any given time! I'm nearly done with reading Tasting Beer, so I probably ought to pick one to read. Hell, I don't know. They all look so good!

Back