so, my parents got me a Mr. Beer kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Number68

Reaction score
I've already got a pretty good setup for 5gal batches, and when asked what i wanted for xmas, i told my parents beer ingredient kits. somehow that became a Mr. Beer kit. Never seen or used one before, when i started the hobby i just jumped into doing full boils w/ extract and specialty grains.

i'm thinking i could use this Mr. Beer thing to work out new recipes, to play around with different ingredients, etc, before making a full 5gal batch.

i've already read through the stickied thread about these things for the most part, but it seems to be aimed at a complete beginner, not someone getting one after they've started.

does anyone have any advice for these things?

it came with the "west coast pale ale" kit, was thinking of throwing in some extra bittering hops, and maybe some honey or something to boost the ABV

Well I posted a detailed primer in that thread for doing All grain in there. It is a great little fermenter for 2-2.5 gallon batches of beer, I do a lot of small batch experimental brewing....and you can, lager in a normal fridge without disturbing the milk and beer on the middle shelf.

As you can see, it;s no stranger to my brewery...

AGmrb1.jpg

fermenting.jpg

If you know what you're doing then you know how to scale recipes as well....

+1

The Mr. Beer fermenter is great for doing small test batches. I used it a lot, that is until I splashed boiling water on it and disfigured the thing.

I have a Mr. Beer keg too and I'd like to start making some test batches but I don't trust the standard spigot that came with the mini-keg... It just looks like it was made to harbor bacteria. Do you use the standard spigot or did you replace it, Revvy?

I replaced the spigot on mine, but now I'm thinking I'll just browse the hardware store and plug the hole. I have an autosiphon for a reason.

I got one at a thrift store.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/super-simple-mr-beer-all-grain-212639/
You could probably get away with halfing most AG recipies and brewing them that way.

You could also do a partial mash and add your hopped LME to make a IPA. Some two row and a bunch of late hops would do the trick.

yea, an ipa is exactly what I was imagining doing with this.. i'll do some research and see what i can come up with, a 8% ipa out of my mr. beer would be pretty nice

although i wish my roommate would hurry up and clean my brew pot (he got drunk and used it as a turkey fryer on thanksgiving, because, well, it is a turkey fryer, just was never used as one, and still has dirty oil in it now)

A IPA would be easy with that can of LME.

I'd use the BIAB like I did in my photo forum thread with:

4 lbs of 2-row

1 oz Simcoe at 20 minutes
1 oz Amarillo at 5 minutes
1 oz Simcoe and 1 oz Amarillo dry hop for 7 days.

I would use US-05 yeast.

With the LME, the booster and the mash it should be around 1.075 OG. With the 22 IBU in the LME plus the late addition hops it should be about 75 IBU (with a 3 gallon boil) and tasty.

That's not a lot different than the IPA I have ready for new years other than I have Summit hops in it too. I've pulled a few QC pints and it's so good I want to go pull another.

Watch that oil--it will kill the head on beer. Clean it well.

I do little two gallon extract w/steeping grain batches in my old Mr. Beer fermenter all the time, like right now for example. I throw them in my Tap-A-Draft bottles and put them in my fridge. Now I don't have to trudge all the way upstairs to the kegerator to enjoy a frosty beverage!!

the mr. beer kit is how i got started in brewing. got it for christmas from my sister-in-law maybe about 8 years ago. brewed with it for just a little over a year. that's when my wife's parents got me the equipment to brew 5 gallon batches for my birthday. haven't used the mr. beer much since starting the 5 gallon batches.
i don't go through cider as much as i do beer, so i'm thinking of using the mr. beer keg for fermenting cider. :mug:

yea, an ipa is exactly what I was imagining doing with this.. i'll do some research and see what i can come up with, a 8% ipa out of my mr. beer would be pretty nice

although i wish my roommate would hurry up and clean my brew pot (he got drunk and used it as a turkey fryer on thanksgiving, because, well, it is a turkey fryer, just was never used as one, and still has dirty oil in it now)

Mine started as a working turkey fryer, and the oil was in there for weeks (read: months) before I cleaned it out and started brewing with it. Get ready, that peanut oil doesn't come off easily...

Back