So my Imperial IPA had lost its umpphhh...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I kegged a pretty strong (11%) imperial IPA in early December and despite it starting out very good it just never really got drank for some reason (I think it scared people) and I still had about 1/2 a corny left.
I tasted some this week and it had lots the hoppiness and was just overly malty tasting.
Well I needed to free up a keg so I decided to experiment and racked it into a little 3 gallon keg, I then added .5 oz of french oak cubes and 1 oz whole leaf simcoe.
Gonna let it chill for a while and see what happens.
Think it will turn out good?

Yea, hops aroma and flavor will absolutely fade over time. It's just a fact with hoppy beers, and the reason Pliny has huge disclaimers on it saying not to age the beer and to drink it ASAP.

As long as you're dry hopping near cellar temperature and not serving temp, some hops will probably bring it back a bit. I would be careful on the oak- that can get heavy fast.

I did a black IPA last spring that turned out dull after a few months. I tossed some dry hops into the keg and it brought it back to life a little bit. If I do it again I'd probably take the keg out of the fridge so the hops have a better chance of giving all of the goodness they can.

Back