So last night...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAD

Reaction score
It actually started yesterday morning. I was eating some breakfast before work and decided to check craigslist to see if anyone was selling kegs. I have never really had luck with anything in my area in the past, but I knew I just had to keep checking. I typed in "keg" and got a post for someone who was selling:

2 ball-lock corny kegs
5# CO2 tank (NOT empty)
Dual Gauge regulator
2 Bottle Cappers (manual and press style)
4 5L portable kegs with tap and CO2 cartridges
7? Gallon Glass Carboy
5 Gallon Glass Carboy
Bottling Bucket
Gas tubing with quick disconnect for one keg

The price listed was $150 and he said he would sell it all or sell separately. I thought this had to be too good to be true so I called. He only wanted $150 for all of it! I picked it up last night after work! I'm pumped I got such a good deal. A lot of the stuff I already had, but that was a good deal on the kegs, co2 and regulator alone!

Does anyone have experience reconditioning kegs? I am pretty sure they hold pressure, but one looks like it has some gunk stuck inside. What's the best way to get this out? Hot water and oxyclean solution? Help me out here.

Oh, I'd do the soak in oxi like mentioned, and probably replace the O-rings. They are cheap enough. That's all you need to do. Then check for leaks though.

Yeah, even though it didn't sound like there were any leaks, I planned on replacing the o-rings anyway. But yeah, sorry to make you guys jealous, but in all honestly, these deals don't pop up often here either. He had people calling him from over a 100 miles away! Used brewing equipment in northern california is hard to come by.

I replace my O-Rings with bulk parts from McMaster. Much cheaper than the rebuild kits.

Lid seals come out to $1.25 each in packs of 10. (9452K218)
Post O-Rings are cheaper than dirt, $2.15/100 (9452K23)
Dip tube O-Rings are even cheaper, $1.89/100 (9452K172)

Worth it to me to have an extra 190 of them sitting around. Just in case.

Oh, did I mention.... SWEET FIND!!!!!

:D No problem!

My first purchase was 8 cornies, I'm up to 10 total now, and hope to be nearing 20, once I get a couple other upgrades finished.

So for my setup, bulk made sense as the ONLY way to go.

Besides. Who hates dropping an O-ring down the drain / accidentally cutting it / losing it / etc, and having to make another trip to the HBS for a $0.50 O-ring? I sure do.

Back