So is it too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
I live in Michigan....is it too late to plant rhizomes? I checked the weather here...we have a frost advisory for tonight/tomorrow still....

Plant them asap , you probually won't get much yield the first year maybe 3 to 4 oz bet it'll produce more and more every year.

It's almost never too late. As was mentioned, you most likely won't get any type of harvest the later you plant but you'll have a great leg-up on next year. Late June of last year I planted a couple Chinook rhizomes that had been dug in April and were sitting in the back of my fridge. What you see is what happened over the next 8 months. These are probably about 4 feet tall in their new home by now. The crown in the first picture actually looks like one of those mythical 'hopicorns' I've heard about. Hop to it!

Chinook 1.jpg

Chinook 2.jpg

Chinook 3.jpg

Plant away, the sooner the better. Don't worry about the frost. Hops are very hearty plants and a little frost won't even phase them.

The year I got my 1st rhizomes I did not get them in the ground till memorial day weekend. Only 1 of the 5 I planted came up, but boy did she take off. Plant away.

Also in Michigan here. A few days ago, a buddy of mine cut off what I can best describe as runners (I guess they're very small rhizomes that had spread about a foot or so from the crown). One had about a foot of growth on it and the other two had less then six inches of green shoots. The foot-long one is withering above-ground, but the other two are holding steady. They aren't wilting, which I am hoping means they will eventually survive.

tl;dr Go for it!

Back