So I'm gonna attempt to make a cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver165

Reaction score
So the SWMBO wants some hard cider. I pulled up Ed Worts recipe and decided to go with this:

5 gallons of Motts applejuice
1lbs corn sugar
1lbs brown sugar
pack of Nottingham yeast

The SWMBO doesn't want apple flavored rocket fuel.

So any suggestions?

Hard to go wrong with the Ed Wort cider, ive made around 25 gallons of it, far from rocket fuel, its just a very nice dry cider, ever tried magners? bulmers? kinda like them.

I do it even cheaper than you, 6 gallons of the cheapest juice I can find.
1kg of table suger (god forbid it imparts cidery tastes ;) )
Whatever yeast is floating around.
a baggy of yeast nutrient.

Yours can "only" taste better than mine. But if you are scared of getting rocket fuel flavours you could always swap out half your sugar for some DME.

I just made my first hard cider 2 days in primary so far. 4 gallons of store brand all natural apple juice (no preservatives), 2 cups sugar, and just bread yeast. OG 1.050. It looks to be fermenting perfectly. From what I've read you need to make sure the apple juice is natural and says no preservatives. Some will say 100 percent juice and still have preservatives. I guess you'd have to add a yeast nutrient otherwise. Good luck with yours and I'll let you know how mine turns out.

+1 on the no preservatives.

Some juice i've heard contains preservatives to stop it going lambic.

I use 100% juice from concentrate, real cheap ;)

Back