So I'm brewing an IPA that says to transfer to a secondary. HBT says, "NO"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atooraya

Reaction score
Should I just leave it in the primary for the entire duration, and skip the racking to a secondary carboy?

BTW, I'm supposed to put the rest of the hops in the second racking.

How long does it say to keep in primary and then in secondary?

I just dry hopped and threw them into primary. 2 weeks in primary and then another week for dry hopping.

Secondary is ok to dry hop but why spend them time getting everything ready and possibly risk infection of some kind if you can just throw them in primary.

i sometimes move it to a secondary to dry-hop. depends on how lazy i feel, and if i need the yeast cake for another brew. i have an apa that needs to be moved to free the yeast for a barleywine; otherwise, i'd just dry-hop it as it is

How long does it say to keep in primary and then in secondary?

I just dry hopped and threw them into primary. 2 weeks in primary and then another week for dry hopping.

Secondary is ok to dry hop but why spend them time getting everything ready and possibly risk infection of some kind if you can just throw them in primary.

It says after the first week, rack the beer into secondary with the hops and then let it ferment for 7-10 days after

In all seriousness, you just gotta decide....

1) Rack to secondary based on instructions, doing what you are told

2) Do not rack based on HBT, doing what you are told

I have tried both... now, I never rack, even with high gravity beers with 2-3 months in the primary. I make amazing beer usually, not bragging just a fact. Now, your turn to try.

jjones17 said:
In all seriousness, you just gotta decide....

1) Rack to secondary based on instructions, doing what you are told

2) Do not rack based on HBT, doing what you are told

I have tried both... now, I never rack, even with high gravity beers with 2-3 months in the primary. I make amazing beer usually, not bragging just a fact. Now, your turn to try.

I never rack to secondary either. I bought a glass carboy for a Belgium tripel that I made a year ago. That's the only time I've ever used it. It looks cool though in my man room.

Seriously though. I don't have the time to rack to a secondary on my beers. Last Friday I dry hopped a three week old double IPA in the primary and will bottle it next weekend. I never secondary. I cold crash and bottle. My beers aren't crystal clear, but I don't care. I don't enter competitions and they all taste good. That's all that matters to me. Everyone I share with seems too like it too, or they're just too nice to me to tell me the truth!

Give it a shot. Skip the seconday. I don't think you'll be disapointed!

It says after the first week, rack the beer into secondary with the hops and then let it ferment for 7-10 days after

in that case DEFINITELY keep it in primary. primary for at least 3 weeks, your dry hop addition after a week in primary is perfect though, most of the krausen will have fallen and the yeasties won't CO2 scrub your hop aroma away.
happy brewing :mug:

I wait till I get a stable FG to dry hop one week. Most of the yeast is settled by then. The hop oils coat the yeast cells as they sink to the bottom. Just less of that at that point.

Most brews I don't use a secondary on, but I always secondary IPA's. Easier to dry hop, and helps clear it up a bit.

Do whatever YOU want to do. Listen to advice and then make your own decision. I would recommend trying it one way this time, and then repeating it with the other. Sitting for extra time on the yeast gives a flavor that is different then if it is racked to a secondary. It can be a subtle difference for some styles. Some people like the extra flavors, others do not. People who have done the comparison generally find the flavors of the secondaried beers to be a little cleaner and smoother, while the primary only beers can be a little more estery with some bready flavors.

I racked to a secondary for years and then stopped. Other than a slight difference in clarity (I care not!) I can't notice any difference in my brews. I usually, but not always, cold crash and dry hop about 1/3 of the time. I always ferment for 3 weeks, and carbonate/condition for at least 4 weeks and they come out tasting good to me and the others that I allow to drink my beers. :)

I never rack to secondary either. I bought a glass carboy for a Belgium tripel that I made a year ago. That's the only time I've ever used it. It looks cool though in my man room.

Seriously though. I don't have the time to rack to a secondary on my beers. Last Friday I dry hopped a three week old double IPA in the primary and will bottle it next weekend. I never secondary. I cold crash and bottle. My beers aren't crystal clear, but I don't care. I don't enter competitions and they all taste good. That's all that matters to me. Everyone I share with seems too like it too, or they're just too nice to me to tell me the truth!

Give it a shot. Skip the seconday. I don't think you'll be disapointed!

Yeah, a nice tripel sitting there looks awesome!!! :)

I just primary in a glass carboy, leave it for 4-20 weeks and bottle when I feel like it. Random, but I pretty much always end up with beer that tastes better than the brewpubs beers around here.

Back