So I was thinking about my keggle....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
You know how we cut the tops off of a keg and call it a brew kettle? Well it sucks for 11-12 gallon batches. Really sucks. There is no room for a really good hot break without 15 minutes of working the foam in a way where it will break without a boilover.

So.....I was noticing the nice domed part at the top and started to think. Would there be any way someone could put the keg on a lathe of some sort, heat that domed lip to red hot and pull it upwards? So instead of a dome, you would have more of an extension of the keg wall. That would give us an extra 3-4" or so and would be just about right for a proper break with 12 gallon batches.

Thoughts?

That would be a true PITA... why not just weld two together?

Aren't the 7.5 and 15 gallon sanke's the same diameter?

If you cut the top off a 15 gallon (above the "rim") and the bottom off a 7.5 gallon (below the rim), then welded them together, you would have a very nice keggle for 10 gallon batches.

That would be a true PITA... why not just weld two together?

why? I recall someone putting a keg on a lathe a few months back. It could be done I think

However, Ive found a 20 gallon kettle with the same diameter as a keg. Problem solved.

Back