So I sanitized my corny kegs with bleach...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowgman

Reaction score
I now know, from reading about half a dozen websites on kegging, that I shouldn't use bleach on my corny kegs because it causes pitting and corrosion of the stainless steel.

Realistically, how much damage could I have done by leaving them in the bleach solution for 1hr?

For future, is Star San good for kegs? I was told that Star San wasn't good for stainless steel either!

Use PBW to CLEAN them and Star San to sanitize them. I mean, most guys have kegs of Star San sitting around to pump through thier lines and stuff. It is ok.

I doubt the bleach did enough damage to destroy your kegs. Just use PBW or Oxiclean to clean and Starsan or Idophor to sterilize from here on out.

Most of what I've read indicates that for exposures less than 1/2 hour, bleach is fine. As long as you removed all traces, no oxidation should have occurred, nor should it continue to.

Oxyclean or pbw to clean, star san or idophor to sanitize.

An hour is ok. Chloride-stress corrosion is relatively slow because it works on the places where the metal crystals meet. Makes for very small holes.

A weak bleach solution for sanitizing SS won't cause enough damage to be worried about within our lifetime. You're fine.

Back