So I realized I've been brushing my keggle's paint off with brass that contains iron.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThoughtPolice

Reaction score
Did a magnet test, because I was curious, and the brass bristles are attracted to the magnet. Now I'm afraid I've doomed myself to RUST! :mad:

I thought I was a smarty-pants when I started using my 4" brass brush attachment for a drill, but looks like this is some cheap brass.

Is there anything to do to reverse the damage?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Take care!

A little researching leads me to believe that I can re-passivate the surface of the SS by using some scotch-brites and BKF. Hopefully this will help keep away the rust, otherwise I probably will just hit the exterior with some black hi-temp paint. (and get another keg, probably, using this one as an HLT. AAAH

I plan on hitting the keggle with fine sandpaper once all the brushing is done, so hopefully that will play a part. I think part of the re-passivation that you get when doing the "scotch-brite + bar-keeper's friend" combo is from the abrasive qualities of both, which goes right along with your suggestion.

Back