So I mixed parts from 32 kegs together...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banik

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
And after cleaning everything, I now realize that I have at least 3 different kinds of kegs, and I have no idea which parts go where, or even how to figure it out.

So, anyone have any good information about how I can figure this out, instead of brute force trial and error?

Some things I've noticed:
1. Some of the kegs only allow thin plastic gas tubes- metal ones will not fit.
2. I have 3 or 4 distinctly different posts - star based, little hex, big hex standard), and some sort of tall hex.
3. Some of the liquid dip tubes have... flanges? flared out about .5 inches from the top, which makes them not fit in some kegs....

Help?

Went back in time - messed up the whole infinite energy thing, and now it looks like we're back at trying to figure out how to go beyond fossil fuels.

Not going to try that again, so does anyone have any good info or resources to help me figure this out?

Smarter people than me will chime in, but:

Start with lids. Make them match...any that are racetrack are very specific.

Posts...thready them on my hand and if they fit and do not woblle, you have a 50% chance they match that keg.

12-point stars are unique...and I forget to what.

Plastic dip tubes are unique...just read a post on those so a search should help.

Specific liquid dip tubes have a bend that only fits one side of specific kegs.

Once you have gone through these steps, take the parts you KNOW fit a keg and start swapping in parts you are not 100% sure fit elsewhere.

First, look at the stamped info on the outside of each keg. Look for Cornelius, Firestone, or Spartenburg and separate them based on make. Some may not have the make stamped on them, but most will.

1. Cornelius gas tubes are SST. Spartenburg and Firestone are plastic.
2. Cornelius gas posts are either small hex (with notches) or large star (with notches).
3. Firestone/Spartenburg posts (both gas & liquid) will usually have writing on them around the diameter just below the deepest groove.

For poppets styles, look here.

1. Cornelius gas tubes are SST. Spartenburg and Firestone are plastic.

I'm not saying that this isn't true ever, but I've never seen a plastic one and I own 12 kegs, mixed between spartansburg and firestone. If it is how they come from the factory, then maybe someone else swapped them out with steel on their long trip to my basement.

as llbeanJ said, starting with the type of keg will enable you to build some rules that should get you there faster than brute force.

BTW 32 KEGS!! hot damn!

I'm not saying that this isn't true ever, but I've never seen a plastic one and I own 12 kegs, mixed between spartansburg and firestone. If it is how they come from the factory, then maybe someone else swapped them out with steel on their long trip to my basement.

Interesting. Of my 10 used kegs, I think maybe 4 of them are Firestone or Spartenburg and all have plastic gas dip tubes. Way back when, I purchased some replacement Cornelius SST dip tubes with the idea of replacing the nylon ones, but they don't fit without drilling out the keg port to a larger diameter. I lost interest at that point and stuck with the plastic ones. I was not aware that Firestone/Spartenburg kegs can come with metal gas dip tubes, but maybe the later ones did.

Back