So... I just sparged too much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So, I did the sparge, and I am about to embark on my first lager. I just read my brewing notes it said to sparge 4 gallons. I put that in there but some how I ended up with more I did the boil. With the hops and all. By somehow ended up with more, I had "help" during the process, a few friends that wanted to learn how to do it. So now I have some wort that is chilled but I noticed the volume is way to high, and the OG is low. So I was wondering if it is ok to boil off some even though the hops are in it. Its supposed to be an oktoberfest. I did the triple decoction mash. And the numbers were good up through the mash.

Just wondering if its ok to boil off the rest of the water to get the OG I need. Right now I have about 13 gallons @ 1.042. I am supposed to have about 10 gallons at about 1.063.

WHAT DO I DO>!>!>!>!>

I haven't added the yeast yet and the wort is in a chilled sanitary place so, i can re-boil.

Thanks

Yes, you can boil it off. Especially since hop flavor/aroma is not a key part of the style.

Back