So I just finished my first ever homebrew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBills

Reaction score
I just finished brewing a partial mash Dead Ringer IPA kit. Wow is all I have to say. That was a hell of a lot of fun. It smelled so good it made my stomach growler. I got the itch now I'm gonna brew a Bavarian Hefeweizen kit I got. It went pretty well but my gravity was a little high so I had to add some water to get it down to the desired 1.064 but I landed at about 1.0625. Do you think this will cause anything out of the ordinary to happen? Well I'mm off to brew my Hefeweizen.

Congrats, man. If you're like many around here, that "itch" may become incurable. Happy brewing!

Congrats, man. If you're like many around here, that "itch" may become incurable. Happy brewing!

Thanks, now I can't wait to make the upgrade to AG. But I spent a pretty penny on my current equipment so that's way down the road.

Congrats and welcome to the addiction...

I brewed 4 beers before I even tasted my first.....

Thanks. That sounds a little like me. I bought eight kits(all partial mash but one) before I even brewed my first one! So I'm lookin at about 40 gallons of beer a little ways down the line. I'm not complaining!

Nice. I haven't yet had the pleasure of a Bell's, but of course I'm familiar with the name...It shows up on a lot of best of lists. Sadly, they do not yet distribute to CA. I may have to try this one in extract, or convince my Sister in Atlanta to ship me some.

Did you brew extract prior to PM?

Nice. I haven't yet had the pleasure of a Bell's, but of course I'm familiar with the name...It shows up on a lot of best of lists. Sadly, they do not yet distribute to CA. I may have to try this one in extract, or convince my Sister in Atlanta to ship me some.

Did you brew extract prior to PM?

No I jumped right into Partial Mash. Just sounded tastier to me. I knew it would be a little more involved but I just read up on it (scoured these boards) and it went off without a hitch. Now if it ferments I'll be in good shape:mug:

Congrats! Hopefully your brew comes out great. I just finished a 9 hour brew day myself... The itch starts to fade right around the 4th or 5th hour usually... lol

Congrats! Hopefully your brew comes out great. I just finished a 9 hour brew day myself... The itch starts to fade right around the 4th or 5th hour usually... lol

Haha no chance. Everytime I added a new round of hops I giggled. Hahaha. Just starting my 2nd brew of the day because my fiance wants to see what all the hubub is all about. She's in for a treat.

Thanks, now I can't wait to make the upgrade to AG. But I spent a pretty penny on my current equipment so that's way down the road.

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that you can't afford the <$5 for a paint strainer bag? That's really all it takes to get yourself started. Do a search on BIAB and look for easy stovetop BIAB. You could be doing all grain tomorrow.:mug:

Well all just finished my 2nd batch. Bavarian Hefeweizen from Northen Brewer. Not quite as aromatic as the first but lovely nonetheless. This was the only recipe out of the 8 that is not partial grain but I've heard rave reviews about it. Long day of brewing. Can you believe some people get paid to do this?

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that you can't afford the <$5 for a paint strainer bag? That's really all it takes to get yourself started. Do a search on BIAB and look for easy stovetop BIAB. You could be doing all grain tomorrow.:mug:

You know I have heard of this method and I should give it a try. I read a sticky where someone had the bag attached to a pulley that they used to drain the bag - looked super cool. I already have the paint bags but the thing that might cost a little bit is a nice size pot. Right now I'm using an enamel canning pot but I can only put about 3.5 (maybe 4) gallons in it. But there is a guy around here that is trying to sell me a keggle for $45 and a wort chiller for $35. So if I had those two things I'd be well on my way. Although I do not have a propane burner so I don't know if I'd be able to get enough heat off the stove top to make that keggle boil. What do you think? Would it boil? If not I would have to buy a propane setup and that would set me back some more yet (not sure how much they cost). Do you think $45 is a fair price for a keggle. Anyways I'm content for now and I'm lovin the homebrewing. Cheers!:mug:

I have seen keggles for sale on the classifieds on this site sell from $75 to $150. Wort chillers? About $30 to 60. Depending on length and diameter of copper. At least a dollar per foot. You could always buy them and sell them on here if you don't like them. Propane burners can be found often seconhand usually around $25 to 30. Go for it!

You know I have heard of this method and I should give it a try. I read a sticky where someone had the bag attached to a pulley that they used to drain the bag - looked super cool. I already have the paint bags but the thing that might cost a little bit is a nice size pot. Right now I'm using an enamel canning pot but I can only put about 3.5 (maybe 4) gallons in it. But there is a guy around here that is trying to sell me a keggle for $45 and a wort chiller for $35. So if I had those two things I'd be well on my way. Although I do not have a propane burner so I don't know if I'd be able to get enough heat off the stove top to make that keggle boil. What do you think? Would it boil? If not I would have to buy a propane setup and that would set me back some more yet (not sure how much they cost). Do you think $45 is a fair price for a keggle. Anyways I'm content for now and I'm lovin the homebrewing. Cheers!:mug:

I have a turkey fryer pot that lets me do a 5 gallon batch but sometimes I use my 5 gallon pot and just do a half size batch. In fact, that is how I started all grain. Just a half size batch to see if I should upgrade. I still do those half size batches sometimes for a new recipe in case I don't like it. It also lets me do all my brewing right in the kitchen, cooling the wort in the sink on those days I want to brew but the weather is bad. A half size batch will get you a case of bottles filled when done.

One warning, all grain is addictive. Once you make a batch, you'll want to do more. So many grain and hop combinations that aren't available in an extract kit and less expensive too.

I have seen keggles for sale on the classifieds on this site sell from $75 to $150. Wort chillers? About $30 to 60. Depending on length and diameter of copper. At least a dollar per foot. You could always buy them and sell them on here if you don't like them. Propane burners can be found often seconhand usually around $25 to 30. Go for it!

I have a turkey fryer pot that lets me do a 5 gallon batch but sometimes I use my 5 gallon pot and just do a half size batch. In fact, that is how I started all grain. Just a half size batch to see if I should upgrade. I still do those half size batches sometimes for a new recipe in case I don't like it. It also lets me do all my brewing right in the kitchen, cooling the wort in the sink on those days I want to brew but the weather is bad. A half size batch will get you a case of bottles filled when done.

One warning, all grain is addictive. Once you make a batch, you'll want to do more. So many grain and hop combinations that aren't available in an extract kit and less expensive too.

No problem with that! Thanks for the info guys.

Back