Quantcast

So, I guess it's the crush

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I typically order my grain through austin homebrew but I got a wild hair up me keester to brew this weekend, so I went ahead and bought from the LHBS and crushed on their mill. The first thing I noticed was that I was able to get a much finer crush using their mill. It was almost too fine.

I have been steadily in the 72-75% range with my beers, with I am perfectly fine with, but I thought I should be able to go higher. I had a barley crusher on the Xmas wish list, to test different crushes with, but I guess I wasn't a good enough boy and Santa didn't bring me one.

So, I brewed this weekend and my starting gravity was quite a bit higher than expected. I was shooting for somewhere around 1.052 and ended up at 1.061, or 83.6% (according to tastybrew.com's calculator).

Also, on top of all that, I was making a lighter bodied beer, mashing around 150, so I am probably looking at a final gravity around 1.014. Going to be one strong, easy drinking beer...:drunk:

Evan!

Reaction score
83%? Good on that! There certainly is a fine line, though, between a fine crush and a floured crush that results in stuck sparges. I'd never had a stuck sparge before---I crush my own grain using my Barley Crusher on the factory settings and routinely get 78-85% with it---but then landhoney shows up to brew the 888 RIS and contributes half the base grain. Said base grain had been crushed at his LHBS. I had my first and only stuck sparge that day.

bobwantbeer

Reaction score
My powers of deduction tell me that you're a Cubs fan living in St. Louis. You need especially high gravity home brew because Cardinals fans are terrible people.

OP
cubbies

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
bobwantbeer said:
My powers of deduction tell me that you're a Cubs fan living in St. Louis. You need especially high gravity home brew because Cardinals fans are terrible people.

Nah, not at all. Rivalry's are fun and all, but I would never go as far as to say they are bad people. As a matter of fact, most of them are great people and very knowledgeable about the game.

RLinNH

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
cubbies said:
I typically order my grain through austin homebrew but I got a wild hair up me keester to brew this weekend, so I went ahead and bought from the LHBS and crushed on their mill. The first thing I noticed was that I was able to get a much finer crush using their mill. It was almost too fine.

I have been steadily in the 72-75% range with my beers, with I am perfectly fine with, but I thought I should be able to go higher. I had a barley crusher on the Xmas wish list, to test different crushes with, but I guess I wasn't a good enough boy and Santa didn't bring me one.

So, I brewed this weekend and my starting gravity was quite a bit higher than expected. I was shooting for somewhere around 1.052 and ended up at 1.061, or 83.6% (according to tastybrew.com's calculator).

Also, on top of all that, I was making a lighter bodied beer, mashing around 150, so I am probably looking at a final gravity around 1.014. Going to be one strong, easy drinking beer...:drunk:
https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/buck.gif

Sounds like a pleasant surprise to me. So, the question is have you ordered a new Mill yet?;)