So, how much beer is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humann_brewing

More Humann than human
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It seems like my SWMBO is always bothering me about the space I use up for my beer. We have most things really organized for a while and I had the lower 2 shelves of a good sized hall closet (double door). My sacks of grain won't fit in there so those are now in one of the back rooms as well as some aging beers in closets around the house.

So I was hoping to hear stories that I could tell her to basically say, well I am not that bad ;)

Keep in mind, this is all of the final products space and some grain storage. The brew equipment is another story. Oh yeah and not to mention the kegs.

I think I will hold off brewing the next batch for a few weeks to let the pipeline dwindle a little bit.

Where do you keep your equipment? Is there room for a couple of shelves to store some of the final product? I like Revvy's idea of using file cabinets for storage. That may be a decent idea if you have a back room not used for much, but don't want to keep it in the open.

Where do you keep your equipment? Is there room for a couple of shelves to store some of the final product? I like Revvy's idea of using file cabinets for storage. That may be a decent idea if you have a back room not used for much, but don't want to keep it in the open.

The brew equipment is in the garage, pretty rough on the beer to leave it out there for 9 months of the year because of the heat here. All the beer is in closets or close to a closet as in the case of the back room. I guess I need to orgainze more and see what I can condense and conceal better.

I have about only 25 gallons sitting in bottles in boxes, 5-20 gallons at any time fermenting, and plus all beer equipment sitting in my spare bedroom dubbed the man-cave by the wife. As long as I keep it clean and organized she doesn't really complain much. I don't use closet space; because honestly I don't have that many closets and I also don't have a garage. I am working on getting shelves set up to hold all the bottle boxes and my equipment to help keep it more organized....

But how much beer is to much? None! I mean the real complaint would be if you were drinking your batches faster than producing them then I can see the anger from SWMBO. Just ask her which she would prefer?

Too much beer? Never too much. At one point this summer I had ~80 gallons in kegs and 20 more fermenting. Of course I havent brewed since August, so that amount is dwindling....

I read a thread earlier today where someone had pictures of their equipment spread out all over their house... It was alot of space being occupied. I'm a student and I generally live in small places, so I try and consolidate as much as possible. Grains go in their bags in the mash tun when its not being used, all my kettles nest as does the wort chiller...etc. I even stack my kegs when I'm running low on space.

I have my own kitchen in the basement with a kegerator, beer fridge and a couple of stainless steel brew supplies cabinets...and over 20 carboys....mostly full.

In the storage room I have over 20 cases of German 1/2 liter bottles, a freezer, over 100 lbs of grain and over 100 lbs of DME, over 100 wine bottles full of ciders and meads, about 7 carboys, and shelves of beer and canned veggies.

I also have a keezer in the garage and a Son of Ferment Chiller on a dolly...a snow thrower, shelving units with 12 more carboys, plus the 2 cars, etc.

I'm just glad this hobby hasn't taken over my life...

Since you only have part of a closet I can't possibly qualify to help you...;)

I took over most of the basement with my wine making and now that Ive got this sculpture getting finished and took over the fridge downstairs she is getting annoyed a little. Here is my wine making room.
Picture001-9.jpg

here is my wine cellar.
LeftSideWithDoorRack.jpg

RightSideCellar.jpg

Here is the fridge that I took over
Picture003-2.jpg

Picture001-5.jpg

And now the sculpture that resides in the room that will eventually be out family room.
Brewsculpture.jpg

I think you could show her Grizzlybrew's beer sprawl, you should be ok after she sees that!

yes, that will do it. Part of her thing is that I bought a chest freezer to use as a fermenter but have still been using the water batch method in the back room since it is easy to maintain temps in the winter with that method. Anyways, those brews are onto the crash cool so I am getting some slack now.

While I think SWMBO would love to have a setup like Wade's (which is extremely impressive), right now she's happy that I only take up half the basement and a corner in the garage.

(given enough time, though, I can get her to agree to just about anything...) :)

Back