So how many of you are im a alcoholics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its interesting to me that after there were a sh*t load of responses basically jumping down the poster's throat for being a ridiculous troll, that we've had a few posts from members saying yeah, they are in fact alcoholics. I'm not sure why so many members here thought that it was a ridiculous question.

This is definitely not a dumb question to me personally. I drink more now than before I started this hobby, although I rarely get sh*t-hammered on my own stuff.

And I am DEFINITELY addicted to brewing & beer forum posting, if not on the actual alcohol itself :)

Meh, I'm the other way around.

I drink less now that I brew. But the money spent is about the same, lol.

And I'd strongly suggest that if anyone thinks they're an alchy that they delete their account and get help.

Its interesting to me that after there were a sh*t load of responses basically jumping down the poster's throat for being a ridiculous troll, that we've had a few posts from members saying yeah, they are in fact alcoholics. I'm not sure why so many members here thought that it was a ridiculous question.

This is definitely not a dumb question to me personally. I drink more now than before I started this hobby, although I rarely get sh*t-hammered on my own stuff.

And I am DEFINITELY addicted to brewing & beer forum posting, if not on the actual alcohol itself :)

I think you would just be surprised how many people are alcoholics. If you went to probably just about any forum that has the same number of members you would probably have 2 or 3.

I think you would just be surprised how many people are alcoholics. If you went to probably just about any forum that has the same number of members you would probably have 2 or 3.

I think you might be surprised as well. I don't like to play numbers and argue, but seeing as I'm going to be a pall-bearer for a family member who recently died of alcoholism I thought I'd post this. Just for thought:

According to: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/a/alcoholism/prevalence.htm

They estimate that around 5.5% of Americans have some form of alcoholism (whether you want to call them "recovering" or not).

So, according to HBTs membership numbers, about 2,300 of us are alcoholics. Slightly disturbing.

Agreed.

Also, your definition of an "alcoholics" is going to defer by your own perception of what one is. The medical community is only one voice, but it really defers on your social upbringing, culture and geographical location.

Seems the issue was more with how he phrased the question. Basically came across as, since all you guys do is live and breath alcohol. Yep, that's me, screw my kids and wife...too busy thinkin' about the alcohol dontcha know!

Agreed.

Also, your definition of an "alcoholics" is going to defer by your own perception of what one is. The medical community is only one voice, but it really defers on your social upbringing, culture and geographical location.

Absolutely, I would say the definition of alcoholism is still open to debate! :mug:

I've entertained some concerns from friends and family years ago. I had to go to AA after a DUI almost a decade ago. Observing those meetings made me realize I am NOT an alcoholic. I do think it's ironic that there are many people who are so paranoid about alcohol (sometimes justly so because of their past) that the only way to prove to them you aren't an alcoholic is to never have another drink for the rest of your life. My MIL is like this, and it doesn't help that my BIL spent six mo's in jail for breaking a guys face while drunk.

Why would an alcoholic spend months poring over teeny little batches of beer with all kinds of temperature controls and hop timing and conditioning and sanitation when you could just fill a clean garbage can with water, dump in 20 pounds of tang juice crystals and a few packets of wine yeast, and get wasted for 2 months for like $12. Brewing beer at home isn't about getting drunk, it's about... brewing beer at home. We've all had a few blackout nights, that's part of life. If you're having them every week, you should get some help.
Alcoholism is compulsive and home brewing is mostly about patience... they just don't mix. Unless you are an immensely patient alcoholic.

IMO, you're only an alchy if you get drunk by yourself all the time. Not kinda buzzed, I mean drunk, and all the time. Also...

"By Kentucky law, anyone who has been drinking is “sober” until he or she ”cannot hold onto the ground.”

I believe that since I have started homebrewing, its all about taste now. When I get home I have a pint to wind down and the choice is aobut taste not ABV, then after dinner I have to think deeply if I want another pint or milk and cookies :).

Back